640x480 still ok?

Started by
46 comments, last by Ratman 23 years, 6 months ago
Do you guys find it "acceptable" to make a game in 640x480? Im making a small 2D game, and I dont have much help with art, so I figure it will make that a little easier, and will speed up the game. I want to use 16-bit color, btw.
Advertisement
Absolutely. There is nothing wrong with 640x480. I''m using it for my game.

Martee
Magnum Games
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
if your just making a 2d game, then 640x480x16 is fine
once you start making complex 3d games, its a nice idea to at least implement a res changer
but for now, stick with 640x480
Diablo 2 is 640x480 with no resolution changing options, and it looks sweet.
For me 640x480 is still fine. But after Diablo 2 came out a lot of people were annoyed because of that "limeted, archaic resolution". So if you stick to 640x480 better get a thick skin (can you say that in English? I hope you know what I mean).
The main problem with fixing the res to 640x480 is that if a player has a large monitor (21" for example) it is going to look pretty nasty. Ideally, it should be possible to change screen mode, either by having different versions of the artwork (BAD solution) using D3D instead (Better solution, but requires a bit more work. Has a few additional advantages though) or by enabling the user to have a larger viewing area (probably the easiest solution, although you might need additional artwork for menu screens and GUIs etc.)

Having said that, both Baldurs Gate and Diablo II had a fixed resolution and they didnt exactly suffer from bad sales.
Well, yes, 640x480 is good. It is nice and fast, and I don''t really notice the difference between it and 800x600, except on my laptop, by that can''t be helped.

------------------------------
#pragma twice

sharewaregames.20m.com

As sandman says, it doesn't look too good on large screens (I have a 19" and in 640x480 I have black lines between pixel rows)

said that, I must add that in games you hardly notice them - especially in
a) fast games (loadsa action)
or
b) dark games (if everything is black you don't see the black lines )

- JQ
pmjordan@gmx.at

lead programmer,
PWC Software

Edited by - JonnyQuest on September 24, 2000 1:14:08 PM
~phil
I''d play your game...
Is 320x200x8bit still OK, guys?
Alexbigshot@austin.rr.comFoolish man give wife grand piano. Wise man give wife upright organ.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement