Are their any great Free C++ compilers?

Started by
12 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 3 months ago
the big companies mostly use vc++. there are a couple of free compilers around, dont know if their any good.
theres djgpp that u can get from this sites code vault
Advertisement
Yeah, I have seen djgpp and never downloaded it because I was not to sure what it was...
There's also MING. It's the Windows native version of gcc (the free unix compiler). It's a bit of a pain to get set up though, since MS header files are copyrighted and can't just be thrown in.

I did alot of goofing around with OpenGL on it before I got VC++.

-the logistical one-http://members.bellatlantic.net/~olsongt
That's cool I have always wanted to get in to the graphical side of C++ programming, I had 2 years of C++ in high school but they NEVER tought us anything with graphics, or about using graphics programs in C++ like 3D studio, OpenGL, or other such programs. So I don't even know how to put that stuff in with a C++ program to make a game. But I just got some reading matterial I have to cathch up on. So does djgpp, work just like a C++ compile such as Borland, or Code Warrior? And can programs like OpenGL work with DJGPP???

------------------
Jason M. Goebel
JMGoebel0@aol.com

I have been searching for a great c++ compiler that is free. I can't really afford to pay out $200 for a good compiler. Also, Does anyone have any ideal what most the big game companies use?

Thnx for your time...

------------------
Jason M. Goebel
JMGoebel0@aol.com

I have found a good C++ compiler that is free it is called Bloodshed Dev-C++ compiler. It works pretty good. Now could you tell me anything about working with OpenGL?

------------------
Jason M. Goebel
JMGoebel0@aol.com

Could you post the URL for that Bloodshed Dev-C++ compiler?
if u have to buy a compiler the college bookstores usually have the cheapest prices
I was wondering whether these free compilers support Win32 programming? Does it come with the windows.h file?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Sherman
_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
Bloodshed Dev-C++ (which is listed along with other free compilers in our Resources section) can be found at www.bloodshed.nu/. It DOES support Win32.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement