TILE-BASED GAME HELP....

Started by
1 comment, last by RegularKid 23 years, 7 months ago
I''m creating a mario type side-scroller game. Here''s my problem: I''m not sure how to create moving platforms in the game. I know that there is probably a really easy explanation for this, but I''m kind of new to these types of games. First, i thought that i could use the background tiles and just keep changing the platform tiles up or down a row. But then i realized that because the tiles are 32x32, it wouldnt look good since they could only move 32 pixels at a time ( it would look really choppy). Please help me. p.s. i''m talking about the ones like in Super Mario 3, (the ones that move along a black line) thanks
Advertisement
You ought to only post once .

Null and Void
Well you''re not going to be able to do it with the regular tile-bsaed method, for the reason you gave. Your best bet is probably to create some sort of class (or struct) that represents a moving platform. It should contain things like the RECT where the graphic for the platform is stored, one or more equations that describe its movement, movement speed, special properties, and a function that determines whether or not the player is colliding with the platform, and from which side. Then you''ll have to figure out some way to specify where you want objects like that to be stored in your map files.

-Ironblayde
Aeon Software
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement