Playstation Dev

Started by
38 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:Original post by superpig
Just a reminder: you are very much not allowed to distribute things like the TRC. Doing so is against the NDA that you (or someone on your behalf) signed when you got access to it.

Moreover, GDNet won't allow such things to happen on these boards - it'll be treated the same as warez, which is an instant ban for those involved. We could also report you to the relevant console company.

what's the TRC?
Technical Requirements Checklist. It's part of every console's QA process, and is included in the dev kit.

Quote:Original post by WIZMAK
What if I use MIPS compiler and assembler and a hacked PS liker to generate the executable, and test my code using a free emulator like ePSXe. Then when I finish testing and debugging, I burn the files on a PS loadable CDROM.

What you do in the privacy of your own home is basically up to you. So sure, you could make your own games in that way, invite your friends round to play them, etc.

However, the moment you start trying to distribute it (even for free), is the moment Sony will come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Have this every happened? Will Sony leave you with a warning, cease letter, or will it actually sue you and put you behind bars? How does Sony treat illegal indie developers?
Quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
Have this every happened? Will Sony leave you with a warning, cease letter, or will it actually sue you and put you behind bars? How does Sony treat illegal indie developers?

It depends. If you used illegal copies of Sony's SDK or created a product for copyright infringement they'd probably slap you pretty hard, but if you used a freely (and LEGALLY) available toolchain there really isn't anything they can do, which has been held up in court on at least two seperate occasions.

I mean no offense by saying this, but you have a goal of developming and releasing a game commercially on your own, you can forget about it. There are far too many techincal, financial, and legal issues, not to mention the amount of work required for a commercially viable console game is well beyond an individual.
Shoot Pixels Not People
So to avoid legal issues, I will try the XBox 2 as my last resort. However, I'm not sure if it will be cooler than it's counterpart consoles, and if it'll be still programmed in the same way using DirectX?
How much does the official XDK cost? and is it easy to obtain the license from Microsoft?
Quote:Original post by WISMAK
So to avoid legal issues, I will try the XBox 2 as my last resort. However, I'm not sure if it will be cooler than it's counterpart consoles, and if it'll be still programmed in the same way using DirectX?
How much does the official XDK cost? and is it easy to obtain the license from Microsoft?

If you haven't figured from all the previous post the closest thing you as an individual are going to get to a console sdk is the sony linux ps2 kit which as far as I know is sold out but you can probably find it on ebay and i have one but ain't selling it anytime soon.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
You're not going to be able to get a PS3, XBox2, or GC2 development kit. Mainly because they aren't available period. A few, large, trusted developers *may* have some early "this might be what the system will be like" docs, but that's it at the moment.

Now if you want to develop a game for the PS2, GameCube, GBA, or XBox, then my advice is to give up now and save yourself some trouble. The only way to get dev kits is to an established developer, or to have the backing of a reputable publisher. You can not get that backing without first having a game. You can not make that game without the dev kit. You see the dilemma? So if you want to make console games, you either want to go work for a developer that makes console games, or you need to start your own company that establishes itself by making quality PC games.

Now, the other alternative is to make games for older consoles or to buy one of Sony's Linux kits. Homebrew development is very possible on the GBA, Dreamcast, PS2, GP32, etc. However, you're not going to make money making those types of games. You can only hope for experience and recognition that will help you land a job or start a company down the road.

Some links:
Nintendo's developer site: http://www.warioworld.com/
Sony's PS2 Linux site: http://playstation2-linux.com/
Microsoft's Xbox developer's site: http://www.xbox.com/en-us/dev/default.htm
GBA homebrew site: http://www.gbadev.org/
Dreamcast homebrew site: http://www.dcemulation.com/
GP32 site: http://www.devrs.com/gp32/
Homebrew hardware supplies: http://www.lik-sang.com/
i read somewhere (gameindustry.biz?) that a few preliminary XBox2 dev kits have been sent to trusted developers (i assume those who'll be working on the titles to be available when the console is released).

other thing is the PS2 architecture is a nightmare plus the toolchain is very basic. and i mean basic.

if i had to choose a console to dev on atm it'd be the XBox, as you can do a lot on the PC and port it over.
i is 1337
Then what if I have a cool project for PC that will be ported to one of these consoles? Or lets say that I become a licened developer. Which one will be the most entertaining to develop for? Your expectations.
Then what if I have a cool project for PC that will be ported to one of these consoles? Or lets say that I become a licened developer. Which one will be the most entertaining to develop for? Your expectations.
The Xenon kits, as people have said, are under very limited availability; even if you got a job at one of the development firms that have a kit, I expect you'd still be very lucky to be allowed to work with one.

You definitely won't get one from Microsoft, particularly if you've not published any XBox 1 titles.

I reckon your best bet, if you're determined to get something onto console, is to develop with XBox 1 in mind. Work on PC, keep your platform-specific and platform-independent code strongly delineated, and use DirectX 8.1. If you can produce a viable prototype like that then you stand a better chance of ever getting anything onto console... the PC build serves as the demo you show to Evil Bachus's "reputable publishers." If you can sign a publisher for the game, they can get you an XBox dev kit, and you can port the game across to XBox.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement