Capital ships duking it out!

Started by
20 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 6 months ago
Imagine huge, hulking battleships, supercruisers, and dreadnaughts slugging it out in the icy depths of space. Any ideas for gameplay come to mind (that you want to share? ) I''m looking for ideas / feedback for capital ships in space. I''m leaning toward a more action / arcade rather than sim feel, but I''m not totally opposed to sim elements (if they''re cool ) Ideas for weapons, controls, rules, anything very appreciated. Here''s what I''m thinking so far: The view''s 2D top down with 3D ships. Full 3D might be more realistic, but doesn''t quite fit the vision (or my skills, unfortunately). The ship sits in the center of the screen, slowly turns 360'' and you can zoom in and out. I think the three cool elements to cap ships are firing of weapons, manuevering, and some lightweight systems management. The firing works like this: Ships are composed of Major and Minor Batteries. You can target individual ships with Major Batteries. Once targetted, the Battery will fire until the ship is destroyed. You can group up to 10 Batteries (1-0 on keyboard) much the same way you group RTS units. (Batteries will probably top out at 10 anyway) Minor batteries are used for point defense against missiles. I''m not sure if they should fire automaticly, so that you can focus on major batteries, or be user triggered. One type of gameplay I''m leaning towards is the "missile command" idea: you fire as many anti-missile rockets toward clusters of incoming missiles as possible, hoping to detonate groups. It could lead to frantic, fun gameplay, or could be a carpal tunnel clickfest... not sure about this one. Since cap ships are dang slow, manuevering should be a strategic consideration. If it''s not too frustrating, turning rate, acceleration, and momentum should all be factors. Since a CS would be slow to turn, bringing fixed weapons to bear could be an interesting challenge. I''m thinking fixed Major Batteries would have some advantage over turrets, to create this strategy. Also, you could turn to hide wounds from enemy fire. Finally, I''m thinking that power management should be an issue. You have a main power bar at the top of the screen. Reactors replenish it, and Batteries and Shields drain it. Since weapons fire continuously until stopped, firing all batteries at once would quickly drain your power supply. This becomes a strategy decision. You can also outfit your ship with weaker Batteries, or fewer Batteries and more Reactors instead, or by turning off Shields or other power hungry devices. Since the game scales, I''m shooting for a style of play that meshes with a top down fighter shooter. The Fighter would be pure arcade, quick and manueverable. The next step would be a Corvette, a mesh between fighter and capital ship. You''d eventually get to fly the awesome Dreadnaught with it''s ten hulking turrets, but I want the gameplay to echo that of the fighter. Thx for any ideas! -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
Damn, I had a similar idea
My suggestion to any sci-fi style game is to make sure to stick with technology and science that we already know, and expand from there.

This may not add much to gameplay, but it inhances the experience in games that I play when the laws of science are followed up to what is currently know. And, of course, you can (or must) add on to these .

Things to keep in mind: Zero Point Energy, The basics (laws of thermodynamics, et cetera), mass (never forget mass, it makes your physics much better)...

That is all of my not-so-very-helpful suggestion .

Null and Void
"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" --Homer Simpson
Actually, this is called Homeworld and Homeworld : Cataclysm.
Excellent games... very cinematic and epic.
His game doesn''t sound like Homeworld much at all, except for the space and fighting part...

Nothing is difficult, only the mind makes it so.
Wavinator,

This sounds like Sub Space... with strategy added.

You looking for some help on this? It sounds like a fun project and I have a bit of free (at least for the next two months) time.

Dave "Dak Lozar"Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
ahahah, in the same order of ideas, I''ll just give "go and read this" reference :
Space Fleet, now known as Battleship Gothic. It''s a Games-workshop board game where you control *massive* ships from differenct species. The rules are quite simple, and there is an excellent extension with various types of scenarios, and rules for experience (for your leader). I really think you might wanna check it out here and more specifically there for the scenario rules

In the same line of thought as Null and Void, I also recently discovered an interesting battleship cutaway picture on the net, and I am looking for more !!! if you have any ideas ?
It''s so much more interesting when you feel like the ship you are navigating could actually exist !

As well, to add more fun, I was thinking that you should carefully think about the environment. It''s fun to navigate a mammoth ship in space for some time, but if all you see is emptiness and a nice background sky, it kinda gets boring.
(I am also researching that a bit)

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote:Original post by Null and Void

My suggestion to any sci-fi style game is to make sure to stick with technology and science that we already know, and expand from there.

So what you''re saying is that the world fiction is very important to you. The problems I have with hard science, though, is that the reality of space travel and conflict as we suspect it to be is pretty damn boring. It can make great setting for a hard core SF story, but as a game, I dunno...

Ships take weeks, or months, or even __YEARS__ just to move around one solar system. Beam physics make the kind of close in, toe-to-toe fighting that''s exciting laughably unrealistic. Missiles are likely to be *crawl* across the map. The problem of inertia makes manuever the equivalent of uncontrollably sliding and skidding around the map (like in around the old game Elite 2). Shields are likely impossible, as are tractor beams.

I guess I''d like to see a science fiction game contain more science, but I''m just afraid that the limits as we know them would make an action game pretty dull.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Actually, this is called Homeworld and Homeworld : Cataclysm.
Excellent games... very cinematic and epic.

Hmmmm... I thought Homeword was a space RTS. Do you control individual capital ships, manage energy, and fire individual weapons? Even if so, I think that game is fully 3D, which takes some of the simplicity and fun out of the arcade feel I''m shooting for.

--------------------
quote:Original post by Dak Lozar

Wavinator,

This sounds like Sub Space... with strategy added.

You looking for some help on this? It sounds like a fun project and I have a bit of free (at least for the next two months) time.

Thanks! Sure, I''d love some help. I''m trying to nail the design right now, and I want to use this as a proof of concept for a larger game idea.

BTW, does SubSpace have capital ships? I only saw the box, never played, but I thought they just had fighters (which is fine, because I want to do fighters as well)

--------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement