You shalt never have another pointless death.

Started by
33 comments, last by Nazrix 23 years, 6 months ago
I like the idea of killing the *shock* goblin creature.

The way I would do it is have a church where the preists are able to talk with you. You would go to the preists who have several warriors who are willing to die for your cause. You are able to possess these warriors but must complete the preists tasks or else they will consider you a traitor and you will be unable to possess any.

That would be cool, because the character must then gain preists trusts and it is a new way of forcing quests on the character

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Advertisement
In sci fi games you could use the system shock 2 method.

My Homepage

Visit my forums

Edited by - crazy-vasey on October 23, 2000 8:37:09 AM
What was the System Shock 2 method (forgive me, but I spend too much time coding, if possible, and too little time playing games anymore [definitely possible!])

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

There were like cloning boothes dotted around the map when you activated one in the map you were on when you died you were resurrected there but it cost nanites(money).

You really should play system shock 2 its a top class game.

My Homepage

Visit my forums
I think it might be a game that I should play for the mere learning experience that it would provide and the ideas that it might get flowing. I will stick to coding tho for the moment, seeing as I am out of $$$ . But we''ll see... Not a bad idea, I had something similar in mind for Fantasy/medieval where the player needs a preist to resurrect them... Along the same lines

I was thinking of doing something like that in my game if I ever get it started. Have it so you don''t lose when you die but you lose your equipment and everything you were carrying but you can stash stuff in the bank and in your house.

My Homepage

Visit my forums
quote:Original post by Nazrix

If everything in a story-based game was really there for a reason, wouldn''t it be interesting if the player''s character never died. INstead the story would just be advanced.

No, I totally don''t like such an idea. I hate simcity because the game never end. I also hate some arcade game, for example Raiden 2 where you will start over again in level 1 if you defeat the final boss in level 8.

A lousy programmer analogy and hell analogy is my opinion regarding a game that never end. Imagine you are a lousy programmer and you will never be a good programmer no matter how hard you try, how many effort you make. Imagine you committed sin and you are cast into hell where you will suffer for eternity and have totally no chance of getting out. That kind of situation is similar to a game that you can never overcome even you play in your whole life. That kind of situation really sucks.
I''m not suggesting that the game never ends. I am suggesting that the game does not end because the player dies. Note that this idea is meant for a heavily story-based game, not games like Sim-City or arcade games. The idea of it is that in a game based around story, if the player dies pointlessly (some goblin kills him or something) how interesting is that?

The game would still end. It is just that if the player loses a fight, instead of killing off the player and making him start over again I am proposing that something happens in the story. The player gets captured and must find his way out etc.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Were you refering to the story advancing in a way that the player is now able to do different things after their death so that they can acheive some goals in some different way. Say that they died and now they are wandering around as a spirit. They can then acheive some more of their task before they come back to life... Is this what you are getting at or am I way off the track? (I expect the latter )

dwarf, that's not a bad idea at all, but not what I was originally speaking of

I'm thinking that the player never dies, but that the story is altered to account for the player's defeat in a battle or something.

I just meant that in many situations instead of the player being killed the story would just make an interesting turn that resulted on the player surviving...like the player gets taken prisoner, someone finds the player half-dead and nurses him back to life.

The main point is in a story-based game, death is so boring. It just means the game ends, and the player starts over or reloads a saved game. Instead of death, a twist in the story could be taken. I'm thinking more along the lines of the player being taken prisoner or something. Something that is inconvienent for the player but just alters the story rather than just ending the game and making the player start over.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on November 2, 2000 1:57:26 AM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement