"The Quake3 Networking Model" Question

Started by
29 comments, last by Prefect 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by DragonWolf
You still get players who want to play with just their friends (private) in the spur of the moment. They have neither the time nor is it worth the money to hire a server. They are usually in all different locations around the world so can't play on a LAN.

What we usually did was look for an empty server running the mod we wanted to play, and just hop into it. It's not perfect, but it works. I don't see how you could possibly play host server-simulated FPS with only 128kB/s upstream, but if you have some clever ideas, feel free to share.

Quote:
This kind of game play is still very common. Especially for non-FPS games.

Well, non-FPS games have different bandwidth requirements. Turn-based games are mostly unproblematic - so what if end-of-turn takes half a second longer than usual? Real-time strategy games can use parallel simulations, i.e. hosts only exchange the player commands (small amount of data), and the simulation itself (moving the units, performing attacks, etc.) is run on all hosts simultaneously, so the unit data itself doesn't have to be sent across the network. I don't really know about racing simulations, but they should have a very predictable upper bound to the amount of data that needs to be sent.

cu,
Prefect
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement