Shooting game ideas

Started by
12 comments, last by Iron Chef Carnage 19 years, 3 months ago
Ok…I am creating an fps, and I _think_ I have some cool, “new” ideas. Please do not steal them >.>. Anyways, here they are: Re-spawn->Reinforcements (Multiplayer) Basically, instead of dying and staying dead, or automatically re-spawning, I thought to go a little more realistic. Basically, when you die you enter “spectator mode” until a timer counts down and “reinforcements” arrive, at which point you enter the game at a secure location. I know it is not a major change to anything, but I think that it gives the player a chance to plan their next move. Melee system (Single player/Multiplayer) My idea of a melee system is as follows. When you have no weapon equipped, you can do moves with the mouse buttons and the jump and duck buttons (IE, right mouse + left mouse = rabbit punch; Duck + left mouse = uppercut). Now, I know that this might get complicated for the beginner fps player, but it is easy to master, and u can have some melee fun. Co-op(Multiplayer) Not just your average co-op mode for multiplayer. The enemies are human players too. Each side has a mission to accomplish, and the other team is the OpForce (opposing force). If you have anything that you think would be really cool, or if you would like to comment on the ideas I have, please post. Thanx. ~Azari
"A journey of 10000 miles starts with a single step"
Advertisement
Nothing against these ideas, but none of them are exactly new or original.

Re-spawn->Reinforcements (Multiplayer)

Done in several team based multiplayer fps's. DoD coming to mind off the bat.

Melee system (Single player/Multiplayer)

Not sure this has really been done in particular, but I'm not sure I see a lot of point. I do agree that there's some satisifaction to be had in knifing someone with an AK (using CS as a reference), but would the system really gain much by adding more than the slash/stab?

Co-op(Multiplayer)

This sounds pretty much like CS or any of the other non-deathmatch team fps's. The concept isn't really original, but there's certainly some cool ways to impliment this idea that haven't been used yet.
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
I wouldn't worry all that much about stealing, most people here are good about giving credit where its due and asking permission for use of a creative idea.

Many games, as i'm sure you know use spectator mode and a countdown timer to respawning. Though truthfully i haven't seen many that allow the player to roam around the map before being able to respawn. Usually that puts the opposing force a tactical disadvantage since the enemy can see any plan they come up with and easily counter it. There'd be no sneaking in the backdoor since there would be "ghosts" screaming to everyone that your touching their cookie-jar, with no fear they'll be "killed". World Of Warcraft implemented such a free-roaming system, but they limited what people/monsters the player could see to only near his corpse to prevent him from following and harrasing or generally abusing ghost mode.

There has been ongoing debates on possible implementations of Melee-Combat systems in FPS's, though your idea for combo-moves using simple mouse/keyboard input is a fairly good one.

As for Co-Op Multiplayer... well, you've pretty much desccribed every Deathmatch game in existence. The most obvious match being Halflife Counter-Strike (terrorists, anti-terrorist organizations, each with diff. objectives). If its any different from these you'll have to be more specific with the details. Most Co-Op i know of usually involves players teaming up to play together in single-player mode style (with storyline and everything). Most companies have pretty much done away with traditional Co-Op, which is to bad, since i rather enjoyed it.
Thanx for the input!

I do not mean co-op as in deathmatch...I mean it as in actually playing singleplayer missions. IE, let's say team A needs to Steal some documents, eliminate an anti air missle and blow up a building...team B needs to protect the encampment(aam + building), and seek out all OpForce and destroy them. Missions could be played in succesion (IE, as in sp, but with live people instead of ai), as well as quickplay modes.
"A journey of 10000 miles starts with a single step"
Quote:Original post by azari
Thanx for the input!

I do not mean co-op as in deathmatch...I mean it as in actually playing singleplayer missions. IE, let's say team A needs to Steal some documents, eliminate an anti air missle and blow up a building...team B needs to protect the encampment(aam + building), and seek out all OpForce and destroy them. Missions could be played in succesion (IE, as in sp, but with live people instead of ai), as well as quickplay modes.

Day of Defeat has real objective-based missions like you describe, although the missions are not connected in a campaign. However, to be realistic, campaigns in online multiplayer are not necessarily the best idea anyways, since few people would ever have time to play through a significant portion of one in one sitting, and a save feature is not an option. As Instruo mentioned earlier, it also has the exact respawn system you described.
You're still describing Counter-Strike. Missions with teams of players going head-to-head? This is every team-based game ever made.

Combos were used in Oni. I personally didn't like the game, but you should check it out if melee interests you. It's third-person, not first, but the premise is the same. Anyway, they were really two complicated for practical use; button mashing was ultimately more effective. Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2 also used melee combos, but they were vastly simplified: you held down one button and pressed another. Unfortunately, this simplicity didn't save the game.

Personally, I'd like to see more co-op games like Halo and System Shock 2, preferably the latter since it was deeper than any other FPS. (It's survived the test of time quite well, particularly with all the mods to update the graphics. I still pick it up on occasion.)

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

Heya,

Respawn for reinforcements isn't particularly new [DoD and BF: Vietnam? come to mind]. Your idea for a melee system is pretty intriguing, but would just become like Enter the Matrix's melee system, where there are so many moves you just buttonmash and get something really cool regardless - don't know how well it would work in a fast-paced shooter though [only reason it even came close to working in EtM was the cool factor and the time dilation, IMO].

As for the co-op mission mode, several years ago [around the time that I discovered CS existed], I had a 'wouldn't it be cool if'... idea with basically the same concept that you have now, except mine was a campain that two teams were supposed to play over ~4-5 hours at a lanparty or whatnot. The problem with the concept is that if you have 1 team who has objectives, the other team's objectives have to be based around stopping the first team - CS, the CTs stop the Ts from planting the bomb, or the Ts stop themselves from being killed by the CTs. Either you need to make one team stop the other team, or set up the game as a race, but then neither team really interacts too much - they are focussed on achieving their goal faster than the other team.

CJM
Having played both Day of Defeat and Counter-Strike quite a bit, I would just like to point out that the mission aspect to DoD is a lot deeper than CS's, most of the time. While CS does have objectives, they do not tend to be the focus of most matches and I have seen many a CS match degenerate into a plain old team deathmatch. I'm not trying to rag on CS or start a flame war, but CS just isn't as much about the mission as it is about killing the other team. DoD, TFC, and UT Onslaught are games that have real objectives that are the focus of the game. The objectives in CS are fairly limited (as necessitated by the round-based play), and tend to be ignored until the last few people are left, if then. Online co-op missions have been done, but CS is not a good example. CS is a well-done team deathmatch that throws in bombs and hostages for the heck of it.
I'd certainly agree with you about CS in public play, mumpo, but organized clan play is vastly different ;)
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
Quote:Original post by Instruo
I'd certainly agree with you about CS in public play, mumpo, but organized clan play is vastly different ;)

Can't argue with you there; never played in a clan.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement