Bloodline system for a MMORPG

Started by
55 comments, last by Iron Chef Carnage 19 years, 3 months ago
Iron Chef Carnage:
I'd like to have a marriage system. Other players' characters could propose to one of your characters and if you agree the couple would either join one of the families or maybe even go to a new player. A dowry system could be applied to compensate the families for the "loss".

ceoofaep:
You could even add a kind of morale stat and if a character isn't played in a long time (relative to other characters of the same player as I dont want to penalize players with less time on their hands) he could decide to leave the family and try starting a new live in another town.

edit:
I think I should define "played" a little more here.
As this is no realtime game there is nothing like "hours of gameplay" with a certain character. We would need to create a system that counts social interaction with other characters (via in-game chat or messages) and special tasks accomplished with the character (kind of quest?).
A rating system between the players would be another way, but that could be abused quite easily...
Advertisement
One additional thing I was thinking of was... say you don't manage your characters very well, and you DO run out of people to play due to getting them all killed. Then, long-lost relatives come and you play them -- at a cost. They will have lesser stats since they weren't directly involved with the rest of the bloodline.

-Greven
Quote:Original post by Evil_Greven
One additional thing I was thinking of was... say you don't manage your characters very well, and you DO run out of people to play due to getting them all killed. Then, long-lost relatives come and you play them -- at a cost. They will have lesser stats since they weren't directly involved with the rest of the bloodline.

-Greven

You read my mind. Of course it would be made sufficiently difficult to kill all of your family. However, in the event that all direct blood relatives died, you would be presented with distant cousins, uncles, etc.

I assume that family members can only be killed while being played. If this is the case, it is already difficult enough for a whole bloodline to die, for the player would have to take each member out and get them killed without stopping to replenish the bloodline. So its probably okay.

About marrying and sharing bloodline and playing a character in someone else's family.... i think you're missing the point. Read the OP again please, for doing such a thing would collapse the whole system and make it like any other game out there.

Swapping however... hum. yeah i can see that working and people asking for it. You'd have to get a proper metaphore for it though =D

About the web interface: this is great, but then something was added that defeats the whole purpose as well. You should not be able to buff a character by both means. Why? power players will use both simultaneously.
How to prevent this? well maybe estabilish a penalty for leveling that way:
every time you level up via web, there's a period you can't use that character

Effects of this? you can't do both simultaneously (wait time should be roughly what takes to level up by hand) and you can level up just like power players. And if you get the urge to play while in that period, you'd have to use someone else in the family. Which would be perfect if the wait times would match for leveling up active and inactive family members, because you can't abuse it. they all level at roughly the same speed, no matter if active, inactive, web based or whatever.

Tough to balance this is :S
Working on a fully self-funded project
Quote:Original post by Madster
I assume that family members can only be killed while being played. If this is the case, it is already difficult enough for a whole bloodline to die, for the player would have to take each member out and get them killed without stopping to replenish the bloodline. So its probably okay.

About marrying and sharing bloodline and playing a character in someone else's family.... i think you're missing the point. Read the OP again please, for doing such a thing would collapse the whole system and make it like any other game out there.

Swapping however... hum. yeah i can see that working and people asking for it. You'd have to get a proper metaphore for it though =D

About the web interface: this is great, but then something was added that defeats the whole purpose as well. You should not be able to buff a character by both means. Why? power players will use both simultaneously.
How to prevent this? well maybe estabilish a penalty for leveling that way:
every time you level up via web, there's a period you can't use that character

Effects of this? you can't do both simultaneously (wait time should be roughly what takes to level up by hand) and you can level up just like power players. And if you get the urge to play while in that period, you'd have to use someone else in the family. Which would be perfect if the wait times would match for leveling up active and inactive family members, because you can't abuse it. they all level at roughly the same speed, no matter if active, inactive, web based or whatever.

Tough to balance this is :S

My use of the web interface would simply be to manage the bloodline, not to "play" it. You would be able to see your family members and enroll inactive ones into schooling, service, etc. It would functionally be the same as doing it from the game interface, but would simply allow casual players to keep track of their famly progress. That way when you can actually log in to play your characters havent been sitting around idling doing nothing.
Quote:Original post by Madster

I don't know if that was meant for me but I'll asnwer anyway ;)
You wouldn't play a character in another family, but the couple would be completely played by the player whose family the couple joins. This way one player would lose (or rather give away) a character and may be compensated by dowry.

Quote:

Swapping might be great and most probably wanted by the players, but there should be some kind of in-game explanation for it. I can't imagine a believable reason for two people to suddenly swap families (apart from some stupid tv game show that is) ;)
edit:
Which is exactly your point after all...
Doh, too early in the morning, I should read posts three or four times before commenting...
Quote:Original post by theSquonk
Swapping might be great and most probably wanted by the players, but there should be some kind of in-game explanation for it. I can't imagine a believable reason for two people to suddenly swap families (apart from some stupid tv game show that is) ;)

Marriage _is_ "family swap" to quite a degree when you look at it: the girl practically leaves her home and family, and becomes part of her husband's family. Or sometimes it's the guy that enters the family of his wife... So you could probably allow the "game marriages" and then let the players decide who gets the involved characters (a player could keep their character and receive the married one, or they could be swapped)
I figured marriage would be used primarily for eugenic pairing, but with the asexual system, it would be okay to swap them. Of course, with an asexual system, are we talking that the characters are actually asexual, or are we just hiding that part from players?
Although many have posted things that are components of my idea, i hope i am not repeating anyone in my idea. I have had an idea, as a super-realism freak, for a more free-form civilization MMORPG that uses an extensive bloodline system in a way.
You start out in the stone age somewhere. When you die, it is permanent. The ancient world is full of dangerous stuff. So you have a shorter life span. But since there is not much technology, it doesn't matter cause there isn't so much to learn and do, so not much to lose. To continue your lineage, there are several options. First, get married to another player, and hope a kid pops into existance. Each partner can have a child as their continuation. The child gets benefits from their parents and can be schooled to begin training before being taken over. When a parent dies, they then directly control the child. If there is no child, a player can choose another child before they die as an apprentice and pass down their knowledge. Couples with extra children can "donate" children for new players to spawn into or use as apprenctices, therefore promoting community between people, and family-social connections.
Of course, the society then advances through research, controlled by the devs, to evolve the world. As there is more stuff to do, and more organization, life expectancy goes up and danger goes down. So life span is longer and everything more stable.
I think a system of perma-death with family continuity is an extra-dimension of games that should be implemented. And anyone who thinks likewise should implement it, I know I am not experienced enough to yet. Good Luck! And I appreciate all feedback on my idea. Thanks for bringing this up, sanscrit.
-----------------------------If pi is used to find the dimensions of a pie,Is cak used to find the dimensions of a cake?
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
I figured marriage would be used primarily for eugenic pairing, but with the asexual system, it would be okay to swap them. Of course, with an asexual system, are we talking that the characters are actually asexual, or are we just hiding that part from players?

I'd rather offspring just be created when characters within a bloodline reach a certain age level. If you incorporate a marriage/sexual system then you have the obvious problem of more males playing than females.. then you have to have guys playing female characters, etc... When managing your bloodlines i think it would be best if a player could choose to only create female or male offspring in his/her bloodlines.. or they could choose to have them created randomly. By making it possible for characters to "pair up" to create offspring for some sort of bonus, you alienate the casual gamer. I think the best solution is to not have "mating" in the equation at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement