See you around, Freakfish....

Started by
38 comments, last by MadKeithV 23 years, 5 months ago
Niphty, I''m sorry, but I really haven''t done anything. I even tried to start a peaceful conversation with ncsu, and he lashed out at me. I tried to stop this dumb battle, and the best thing to do is walk away.

I really urge you to find a single time in any post on this board that I have ever called an idea stupid. Or dumb. Or any other discouraging word. I resent the implication that I have.

And I haven''t attacked you either. I really don''t know when you decided to hate me, and I''m sorry that it is so. I had a great deal of respect from you, and I''ve never heard an idea of yours I didn''t like. I wonder where the miscommunication was...

You''re thinking, "Oh he''s just apologizing to gain ground." That''s nice. I''m not. I just don''t like being accused of things I stand against, like the diminishing of ideas.

SUNANDSHADOW- This doesn''t have anything to do with Writing. If I were in your position, as I once was, I would probably delete it or move it to the lounge. Thanks.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
Yeah, this belongs in the lounge... Or help wanted (Everyone always needs a little help ). Anyway...

Like I said before, LF never just stated that an idea was crap. If he said that it wouldn''t work or that it was inconsistent or anything then there was always a reason for it. That is the difference with LF from others. If there is ever going to be criticism then it needs to be constructive with reason. I think that I learned to do this from LF and as such I only post if I have something relevant to say and something that has body. If I just posted ''That was crap'' then I would deserve such a schalacking... LF didn''t ever say anything like that, and I think that he deserves some respect. Even some who don''t agree with his opinions (Wav) still respect him. This wouldn''t be so if he just attacked people without justification.

I think that we can all learn from LF in that whatever you don''t believe in, whatever ideas seem to be misplaced and wrong, state why you think so and give alternatives. This is what would allow us all to grow and allow the ideas to grow. I think that this would be a benefit to GDNet and the game community in general.

Try and show a little respect for those that justly deserve it. You don''t have to agree with everyones ideas, but don''t get angry because somebody doesn''t agree with you... I know LF didn''t (much, anyway ).

That is yet another sufficient rant at an end

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Yes, I believe that people often mistake LF''s attribute of being opinionated with him being rude. There''s a big difference.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Alright guys. I know pretty certainly who likes/hates/could care less about me. I'm really more interested in what Niphty has to say, because I didn't lie. We DID used to get along, and I want to know when his mind changed. So if you don't have any explainations, I'd like to hear from just the people with beef. Thanks.

Niphty, I'm having a really bad day. In some part you contributed to that day. So now, rather than making an attempt at civility, I'm just going to be honest and hope this post is moved to the Lounge soon:

Unless there's some huge misunderstanding here (which I really would like to believe), you have arbitrarily decided to lash out against me when once you gave me your respect. That is something I can't forgive (unless of course, this is some misunderstanding).

You've never provided me with any real evidence of why you don't like me, and when you have I have NO CLUE what you are referring to. You accuse me of doing things that I make a concious effort not to do, and things you frequently do yourself by the very nature of the posts in which you accuse them. On the more subjective side, I think you are being a liar and a jackass, possibly just to prove your own self-centric philosophies.

I really liked your ideas, your spirit, and yes, even your personality until you decided to sour on me. Why you accuse me of "Insulting people who have ideas I disagree with..." I cannot even begin to comprehend. If there are two people on this board with whom I disagree with most on any issue, it's Wavinator and Kylotan. I consider them both great friends, simply because I disagree with them, and they have PROVEN me wrong on several occasions.

You and your accusations have contributed largely to my day SUCKING this much, which is why I'm happy to write this all out for you. There's no one I hate more than someone who betrays a friend, but since you've made no effort to explain WHY EXACTLY you now feel this way about someone you once called a friend, I'll have to assume this is an outright betrayal.

======
"The unexamined life is not worth living."
-Socrates

"Question everything. Especially Landfish."
-Matt

Some offensive language removed. -sunandshadow

Edited by - sunandshadow on November 2, 2000 10:34:30 PM
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Ok. These personal attacks will stop now. Both of you, take this off-line or into personal e-mail or instant messaging.
Damn! What the hell just happened?

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

quote:Original post by dwarfsoft

Damn! What the hell just happened?

My sentiments exactly. I knew I should have been reading this thread. Anyway, listen up all: The FAQ says avoid offensive language and try to be a constructive part of this community. Niphty and Landfish, I am editing your posts to remove the more offensive remarks. In future please restrain yourselves or fight privately. This forum exists so that we can exchange ideas about what is, for most of us, a hobby. If you really care enough to get this upset about who had what opinion of whose idea, then you need to get a life.

So smile and chill out.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

quote:Original post by Landfish
SUNANDSHADOW- This doesn''t have anything to do with Writing. If I were in your position, as I once was, I would probably delete it or move it to the lounge. Thanks.

No, this has nothing to do with writing. What one can see through the flame, however, does have to do with how one ought to participate in a cooperative criticism group. There are groups on usenet where the smallest lack of IMHOs and smileys will get you flamed for being mean. There are groups like this board where we toss expletives around without too much fear of offending anybody. There are cooperative criticizm groups where "If you can''t say anything nice, don''t say anything at all" is enforced violently, and there are cooperative criticism groups where "Trial by fire" and "Improvement by evisceration" are standard practice. I personally would be ashamed if people posting on my group were too afraid of offending to speak their opinions. The purpose of this group is to help each other improve, not to pat and coddle people under stress with fragile self-esteems. (I''m not meaning anyone in particular.) What we need here is civility, respect for each other, a dash of kindness, and some on-topic threads so people aren''t so bored they resort to flaming each other.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Why the hell do you think I always have so many smilies in my post... Except my last one that is . The last one I was still in shock.. I hardly ever fail to use the COOL smiley as my msg icon... I never though I would see LF lash out and be abusive and not be constructively criticising. Although I believe that he had some right to be upset, I don''t think that he should have acted that way. For what its worth you have dropped in my opinion of you LF, though I still deem your posts worthy of a read. Try and restrain yourself before you do such again, as others may really use it as an excuse against you.

Anyway... I think this thread does belong here, as here is where the people who constructively add should be keeping updated. In the lounge it would just be flamed and trolled... And I think everybody would just ignore it then anyway. At least at the moment it is having a reasonably (except for the last couple of posts) constructive discussion... Let us try and continue that...

I figured if that''s the kind of behavior everyone wants from me, I might as well give it to them. And on top of that, I''m getting really sick of being civil to people who make these accusations. Can you blame me? Yes, of course. Do I care any more? Absolutely not.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement