Drone -- Real Time Strategy game in development

Started by
-1 comments, last by CodeImp 19 years, 3 months ago
No, I dont have any real content so far, not even a title or story. This is because previous games I made, I started with several people together and while I started coding the game, others had basically nothing to do until the game engine became usefull (which always takes quite a while). So the artists lost interest and quit. This time, im coding the game and im using a lot of borrowed and self-made test content to test my engine with. When the engine can do something usefull, like moving units around on the battlefield and let them actually fight each other, then ill start the project for real. The game is codenamed Drone for now. I already do have clearly in mind how it all should work. The theme will be very much like Total Annihilation. TA was an RTS game which was its time far ahead, it still is a good RTS game. Im basically doing this project because I like coding this and I want to improve my skills in this. So im aiming for something much like TA, because thats the kind of RTS I like. It will be aimed at skirmish and multiplayer. I have no interest in missions at all. Here you see a part of a terrain that I rendered with my terrain generator for this game: terraintest Here are 2 screenshots of the unit bones editor: uniteditor1 uniteditor2 The units have bones because their animations are to be controlled by the unit program. Each unit will have its own program in a DLL file. This givens me more flexibility than scripts, saves me time because I dont have make a scripting system and its faster because it is already compiled. Im using C# (Visual Studio .NET 2003) and DirectX 9c. The server code is shared with a seperate dedicated server application. This code must be system independant as I want it to be able to run on Linux system using Mono. These are my plans and my progress up till now. Im open to feedback and suggestions, but im not easily changing the concept or the above plans. Ill keep posting my progress here if it appears to be interesting enough.
Kind regards,
Pascal van der Heiden

CodeImp - My trademark and website

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement