side-scroller design ideas

Started by
0 comments, last by neonstar 23 years, 6 months ago
hi guys, i''ve been very impressed lately with the opinions and ideas that have been coming out of this forum, so i decided i''d throw my idea at you to see what you could come up with... i''m currently working on my 2D graphics engine using D3D and i wanted to do a rather small game at first as a test bed to make sure it would be useable for an actual game project. i decided i''d make a side-scroller, since it seemed like a quick project (well, quick compared to the last project i was working on...). the idea is to do a ninja fighting side-scroller, like Final Fight or Ninja Gaiden. I wanted to do more than just jumping and swinging a sword though, so i figured i''d put in a system for separate punch and kick controls, and also have a combo/special move system. with the right gameplay and visual effects, i figured that this game could be budget quality, and that i might be able to make a few bucks off of it. since most of the talk around here is about RPGs, i figured i might try you guys out for some simple side-scroller design ideas. i think that with the right gameplay and design, this could be an awesome game... any suggestions? dave -- davidw@heehaw.com neonstar entertainment
--david@neonstar.netneonstar entertainment
Advertisement
Most folks around here are very into RPGs...sorry but those seem to be the only things they like to discuss [it''s pretty much like that on any game design form I''ve seen] ...

For you side scroller...you may want to find insperation in Miyamoto''s games [mario, zelda]...the key is balance through diversity while maintaining simplicity...anyway I don''t see much wrong with your description [not that I''m some sort of game design god or anything ] but I would encourage you to persue some of the things Metroid has done...weapons with a diverse range of effects..something like: throwing star, grapple hook, sword, and those spiked things left on the floor for enemies to step on [maybe make them explosive..you can throw them and they stick to walls,etc..but when touched they go BOOM...you could use a throwing star to do this from a safe distance,etc..] also maybe a variation on the 2 hitpoint idea...er...sonic collected rings...if he was hit while he held at least one ring, he was okay [but lost all the rings]..mario was simular in that as he got a flower he gained an ability...but when touched he shrank back down to his normal pint sized form...there are still tons of things you can do with this genre

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement