Text-Based Games

Started by
20 comments, last by andrewjmays 23 years, 5 months ago
lol

Think of making that in a multiplayer version...

------------------
It's me again!
Advertisement
LOL

>turn block
I do not understand ''turn''
>twist block
I do not know ''twist''
>rotate block
Which direction do you want to rotate?
>rotate block right
What is ''right''?
>rotate block clockwise
The red block rotates clockwise 90 degrees
The red block descends one square

Or Pac-man?

Think outside the dodecahedron
Several billion trillion tons of superhot exploding hydrogen nuclei rose slowly above the horizon and managed to look small, cold and slightly damp.-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Back when I was using an old Tandy CoCo3 with BASIC, text-based games were the only games that would run fast.
Pacman worked nicely, my square eating dots as O''s chased me around the text screen.
I didn''t do Tetris, but I did Trius. Every piece was made of three squares. a bit too easy.
And I copied a "Haunted House" adventure game from a book and used the code to write lots of games based on different houses.
Now that speed is no longer a problem, I''m back to graphics.
Wow! Theres a blast from the past. I remember the Haunted House text-adventure writing book. I wish i still had it... the blood, sweat and tears that went into getting the damn thing to work. Theres nothing wrong with text-based stuff. It works fine for MUDs and MUSHES (eg. Battletech MUX is very playable) and should work fine for single player stuff as well.

It certainly teaches you how to do stuff with arrays at any rate.
R>
I love the idea of text based games. esp in these days of WAP phones. I think a good text based persistent world type thing could sell lots.
There arent enough tutorials on the web on how these things are done.

http://www.positech.co.uk
how about interpereted text based games? anything for TADS and Inform rulez, especially the later, so if you want this give it a try. AGT sux big time, on the other hand. In any case, even AGT will probably do a better job than you will with a simple C i/o program. oh, and of course, there''s plenty of tutorials on text-based game design for these and even in general. I don''t know if this is what you meant, andrewjmays.

greetings from the trenches.
All I wanted was a little about about how to create a plain text-based game! I''m new to this whole programming thing so go easy on the "Programer Language!" (lol)
umm. . .don''t let the "programmer language" stuff intimidate you, andrewj. Stani''s suggestions are your best bet for avoiding programming altogether. You still have to learn the TADS (or whatever) language, but if all you want is to make a text-based game, TADS is great.

OTH, if you''re looking to work your way up to graphics, you may as well learn to do this in C (or whatever) right off the bat, as not much of what you learn in TADS will be applicable to graphics-based games. Believe me, I used TADS to get a "quick fix" of game development, and regretted the hell out of it. The two weeks I spent learning the TADS interface, and the three months I spent writing a text adventure could probably have been better spent writing a Tetris clone. . .

LOL! You are in an oubliette, with cold, slimy walls. An old man is here, grinning. The red block drops one square.

Hmmm. . .mebbe I''ll have to pull out TADS again. . .

If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
Anonymous Poster,

Ok. Do you know were I can get tads?

Every poster on this thread,

Also, to all posters of this thread, my teacher is offering me an extended due date for my research project! He told me to give him an approx. amount of extra time we (my partner and I) need and he'd give it to us just as long as it wasn't over 3 1/2 months! I have a little more time to work on the game for my presentation now!

For the Newbies (to this thread) & others,

This game I'm hoping to make is for a presentation for my research report in my English class on Game Design.

Edited by - andrewjmays on November 1, 2000 10:05:58 PM
Here''s a good link

To just d/l the TADS program, click the "I want to play a game that was written using TADS" link, but you most definately want to check out the other links as well. From what I saw, this is a very complete resource, w/ the program, manual, and source code examples- all on one page!

Also- to andrewjmays, as well as others- check out HTML-TADS if you haven''t already! It looks super-keen. . .

If you have tried out HTML-TADS, could you post here w/ your experiences? I''d be interested in hearing them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement