I Need Critiscm!

Started by
10 comments, last by DarkFerrett 23 years, 5 months ago
My team mate sent this image to me. He is a really good artist in all respects. I loved his image, so I went in and colored it up. What do you guys think? My team mate sent this sketch to me, I cleaned it up a little and darkening the lines My team mate sent this sketch to me, I cleaned it up a little and darkening the lines Durring Production The semi finished product! The mostly finished product. I might go in and do some lighting or something. But I don''t know what exactly to do from here. Thatis why I posted this note! So what do you guys think? Ferrett www.shogunmod.com Its your time to choose.
www.shogunmod.comIts your time to choose.
Advertisement
Sorry. Site down for a sec. Please check back!

www.shogunmod.com
Its your time to choose.
the first one sent to me from pau

the semi finished product.

www.shogunmod.com
Its your time to choose.
Looks nice to me. What did you use for the coloring of the image? Photoshop or something less costly. I''m just wondering sence I''m making a demo but have no very few supplies besides a Visual C++ Compiler, Photoshop at school, and shareware at home, also a Painter and Kodak thing that came with the computer.
Looks nice. So what exactly do you want from it? To make it realistic as possible or just to look kick ass? In Painter Classic there''s a brush to blur and yet give a metallic afterglow of the object. Try using that (the brush plugin is also available for Photoshop, call something like Dull Shimmer or something like that). It''ll make his sword look more ancient like what Ronins used to had.
If you just want to make it look cool...try adding some lens flare onto the sword...and that''s all about the only thing I can think of, otherwise this pic is perfectly fine the way it is now.
Dude1:Look at this!Dude2:Ugh! That's disgusting.Dude1:Its art!Dude2: Its your puke.Dude1:Its abstract art,dammit!
looks fantastic.

here are some things you can improve on:
contrast. don''t be afraid to choose dark contrasting colors right next to eachother. also, to give it more depth, choose a light source, and develop the contrast that way. also, your shading strokes seem to be short. you can make longer, sweeping shading strokes. that way, they''ll be varied, and you won''t be able to notice the short, broken shading strokes.

also, this may be the way you want it, but i''d say it would look better with brighter colors. like, a deeper brown and a more navy blue. but you may just be aiming for the washed-out effect. either that, or it could just be my monitor. or my eyes.

take it as constructive criticism. i really think it looks great.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Well thank you guys for all your comments. That really makes me feel good. I put this image to use at www.shogunmod.com if you go there, you will see what I mean. I did the whole image with not filters, I prefer not to use them since anyone can use filters, it takes skillz to make it look nice. Now with all your guy''s comments I can make it look better. Thanks again!
Ferrett
p.s. it was orignially a sketch for my game, but I turned the sketch into the title pic and such things to bring out the page.

www.shogunmod.com
Its your time to choose.
Sure, anyone can use a filter, but it takes "skillz" to use filters well. Don''t cut yourself off from a tool for a silly reason, that''s just stupid.

-------
Monkey eat deadCricket, checkmate!
-------Monkey eat deadCricket, checkmate!
i think that it looks great. the only thing that i would do, would be to make the flag less saturated. it stands out too much imo. it just doesnt look right next to his blue shirt. would also roughen it up with more tears and things. make it look more like just a rag than a flag. but otherwise, very cool.

-Luxury
Nice drawing, the pause is quite lively, which is quite cool.
I can make one criticism : try to use the rule of "Warm Foreground, Cold Background" to give the picture more depth. For instance, you could put the shirt in a more reddish hue, to spearate it more from the flag.
Another cool thing you can do if you want to give a nice finish to the picture, is to smoothen the lines. I assume that you had the good idea to separate all your different parts in different layers, and that the line drawing in B&W is on his separate layer. If so, try this :
On the lineout layer, use a Gaussian Blur, around 3. Then use the Adjust / Curves. What you want there, is to get an almost Black or White setting. To do that, set the values under, say 128, to 0, and those above 128 to 255. You get a curve that wont be a straight line anymore, but more like that ___|"""
ok ?
And there you are, your lines will look much cleaner.
Here''s an example (*BRAG ALERT*)

Originally, the sketch on paper is 3 inches high, and the scanning would show all the defaults of the drawing, because of the zooming in I did. So I used the above method to get a cleaner lineout, it looks more like felted marker now.

Good luck :-)
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement