Scientific American "give up"

Started by
339 comments, last by uckevin111 19 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by d000hg
By 'athiestic theory' I mean a theory which does not involve God.

...in which case, the 'atheistic' qualifier is unnecessary, because no valid scientific theories will make any mention of God, as I pointed out.

Quote:
Evolution is based completely on random mutations. It cannot involve a designer in any way. It has nothing to do with physics, only biology. I think it only refers to large-scale change rather than individual mutations but that be inaccurate. In any case it has not been observed because we don't live long enough lives. We can in theory look at the fossil record and infer it, which changes it from fact to the best theory fitting the evidence.

You seem to be a bit confused.

Evolution in the context of the origins of the diversity of modern life is defined as "heritable changes in life forms over time". We know this happens now, and we know it has happened in the past. It is a fact.

Random mutation and natural selections are just one mechanism which can drive evolution to account for the diversity we see today. It might not be the whole story, but it's well proven that it is at least a significant part of the story.

As for the 'it can't involve a designer' bit - who says? Some people choose to believe that those random mutations etc. might have been guided by God, or something like that. Theres nothing in the theory of evolution that specifically denies this.

Quote:But the problem is that for most all cases, the situation is analogous with being given 2/3 points and told to find the curve through them - simply not enough data to get a meaningful result. The data fit when Darwin made it, I guess, in the sense that all mammals have a similar skeletal system.

You're missing the forest for the trees. You're talking about specific evolutionary changes without looking at the big picture. Forget about specifics, and look at the fossil record as a whole; from fossilized stromalites dating from 3.5 billion years ago all the way up to modern life forms. If you look at the specifics, then yes, we only have a couple of data points for some things, but if you put all those data points together on one graph, it shows without doubt that life evolves, rather than simply popping into existence at random intervals.

Quote:He based a theory on a small data sample and made a prediction. However if a much larger data sample doesn't give extra strength to the theory, that weakens it.

Even assuming that Darwin did say such a thing (source? I ask, because he's been quoted out of context so many times by creationists it's not funny any more), and assuming he was correct, and assuming that the fossil record hasn't changed since his time (which is simply incorrect) you're still wrong, because the fossil record does show quite clearly that life has evolved.

[Edited by - Sandman on April 5, 2005 8:00:56 AM]
Advertisement
By 'athiestic theory' I mean a theory which does not involve God.

There goes mathematics!

Evolution is based completely on random mutations. It cannot involve a designer in any way. It has nothing to do with physics, only biology. I think it only refers to large-scale change rather than individual mutations but that be inaccurate. In any case it has not been observed because we don't live long enough lives. We can in theory look at the fossil record and infer it, which changes it from fact to the best theory fitting the evidence.

Every science involves physics. Biology is no exception. Evolution has been observed. The fact of evolution is that there are millions of different species. The sticking point is the explanation of how this came about. The mechanisms described by Darwin and subsequently modified by other scientists - what is commonly known as 'the theory of evolution' can be demonstrated in a laboratory petri dish with bacteria and other microbes. In practical life, recent reports of antibiotic resistant diseases and pesticide resistant insects also testify to the reality of evolution. This is one reason why I find the notion that biochemists have a deeper problem with theory of evolution rather uninformed.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Will people ever get tired of "Science vs. Religion"-threads??

Science and Religion have nothing to do with each other!
( this has been pointed out several times and many posts are much better than mine ;) )

Also there is no conflict between Science and Religion there's only
a conflict between the people that think Science is the answer to all questions
and those who think their Religion is the answer to all question (Bush, etc. ;) ), both is wrong.

And another thing the Bibel(/...) is not meant to hold the truth word by word.
It was written by humans and it was written a long long long time ago to teach people about god(/...). Do you think the people who lived 2000 years ago would be able to understand that they consist of Atoms, that light consists of photons...?
And how would such a scientific Bibel read?
God created the universe, it extended itself with a speed of about v=...

If you believe in any "higher being" is your choice, but you only choose if you believe in *insert religion here* not if others do/should.
--------------------------All 0==]=====> BrainStorm--------------------------If it''s not lame it isn''tfrom mine--------------------------
Dobeneck, the thing is, religions (some of them) insist on encroaching on scientific territory. To state that a man was resurrected after being dead for three days is a claim of fact : It may be undecidable, but it either happened or it didn't. Likewise, to state that "An extremely powerful, all-benevolent being exists" is a claim of fact. And, of course, to state that the Earth is 6000 years old is a claim of fact.

Incidentally, Oluseyi, if you're still reading this : The Young Earth theory was first discredited about half a century before Darwin, when geologists went out to look for evidence of the Flood, and found nothing. Sorry I don't have a link, for some reason those old fogeys didn't post their results on teh Intarwebnet.

Now, if religion would stick to morals, that's one thing - then they'd only be in conflict with various philosophies, and the one might be as good as the other. But instanter religion makes a verifiable claim, scientists are going to check it. And if their findings don't match, then religion and science are indeed in conflict.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Please read (sorry so long)...

I came across this board while looking for the April Fool's article in Scientific American. I read many people's post stating that this piece was inappropriate and unnecessary and of course the ensuing religion vs. science arguments.

But the article is very necessary. Skimming through all 12 pages of posts I've noticed that the members posting on this topic seem to represent the general public of the United States (not that I think that this board represents a scientific cross section of the country). But you see, just like on this board, most of America is moderate and believes that there is merit in the theory of evolution. But, like on this board, there is a minority that is compelled by their religion to deny and defeat any science or point of view that may contradict their views.

And lately they have been making major ground. If not by actually banning evolution in schools but by empowering students and even school staff into injecting shades of doubt into the theory. Every scientific theory needs to be critically scrutinized but in the end the evidence must be accepted.

If the media and the scientific community do not stand up to ignorance, ignorance will dominate. Imagine where would we be today if the theories of Galileo and Copernicus were accepted in their time and not opposed by the religious.
Describing evolution and its explanations requires more resources than available in a forum thread. Luckily, there exists a fantastic resource known as Talk.Origins. Here's a direct link to the Must-Read Files.

d000hg: I highly recommend you read those files.

For an entertaining critique of the Holy Bible, read www.usbible.org
Quote:Evolution is fact. Evolution has been observed to occur. It is impossible for evolution not to occur.
Evolution is based completely on random mutations.

No. Evolution is based upon three things: the inheritance of traits from parent organisms; the random mutation of traits, and a struggle for survival. All three are required for evolution to occur.
Quote:
It cannot involve a designer in any way.

Nonsense. You've edged out the possibility of a designer by boldly asserting that mutations are random. Science, however, cannot prove that mutations are truly random. In fact, we know that they are not: some genes are less likely to mutate than others.

It is possible that mutations are not random at all, but that a powerful entity, let's call it God, is choosing what mutations occur.
Quote:
It has nothing to do with physics, only biology.

How is the scientific field of stufy to which evolution 'belongs' relevent to whether or not it has been observed to occur?
Quote:
I think it only refers to large-scale change rather than individual mutations but that [could] be inaccurate.

I would suggest checking your facts before entering an argument. But you are honest enough to admit that you aren't sure.

Some scientists refer to "macroevolution" and "microevolution". Macroevolution is evolution over vast time periods. You are indeed correct in that macroevolution has not been observed to occur: we don't live long enough. Microevolution is evolution over much shorter time periods. It has been frequently observed.

Of course, to say that macroevolution hasn't been observed is a vacuous truth. Macroevolution hasn't be observed since macroevolution is, by definition, any evolutionary change which occured over too long a time period for it to be observed.

Many creationists claim that microevolution is possible (they must do, since it has been observed to occur) but that macroevolution is not possible (which is, on the face of it, a more reasonable claim, since macroevolution has not been observed and perhaps never will be).

Most evolutionists take the viewpoint that macroevolution and microevolution are the same. The only distinction is the timescale. The actual physical processes of the two are the same. If microevolution occurs, then macroevolution must occur.
Quote:
In any case it has not been observed because we don't live long enough lives.

Incorrect.

To recap from above, evolution over vast time periods has indeed not been directly observed. However, evolution over very short time periods has been observed a great many times.

One common example is industrial melanism. Kettleworth's peppered moths are probably the most famous example, although there is some suggestion that he may have doctored the results, so that experiment itself may not be sound. However, industrial melanism has been observed in subsequent studies.

Other examples are less famous but far more significant. Bacteria evolve resistance against antibiotics, and viruses evolve resistance against antiviral treatment.

The MRSA bacterium, first seen in 1947, is resistant to methicillin, a drug that that killed its ancestor Staphylococcus aureus. Vancomycin, first used in 1962, is a drug that was effective against MRSA. In 2002, a new strain of MRSA was identified which is resistant to Vancomycin (this strain is called VISA). Note that these strains are new. So there are two examples of evolution here, Staphylococcus aureus evolved into MRSA, which evolved into VISA. Before that, even, Staphylococcus aureus evolved resistance to penicillin.

The HIV virus, first seen in 1959, is believed to have evolved from the SIV virus. It has twelve major subtypes, although even that figure doesn't tell the whole story because the HIV virus mutates so rapidly that if one patient infects another, the HIV virus in the two patients will evolve into quite distinct strains. HIV is, quite literally, a polymorphic virus. This is one of the reasons that finding a vaccine has proven exceptionally difficult.

Many creationists claim that all observed evolution is merely change 'within a kind'. They make a distinction between evolution within a species, and evolution that results in a new species -- which they claim is impossible. However, there are numerous examples of observed speciation.
Quote:
We can in theory look at the fossil record and infer it, which changes it from fact to the best theory fitting the evidence.

In theory? Nobody could dispute that we can look at the fossil record. Being able to look at the fossil record is fact, not theory.

However, in your apparent complaint you have identified the very heart of science. Many creationists fail to distinguish between the "theory of evolution" and the "fact of evolution."

The fact of evolution is the observed facts. We have observed organisms developing traits not present in their ancestors which render them more likely to survive to produce descendants of their own. That is evolution.

The theory of evolution is the theory that the life we see around us is the result of evolution from a common ancestor. The fossil record supports the theory -- it does not falsify it.

The theory of evolution is indeed the theory that best fits the evidence. Not only does it explain almost all observations, it also explains why certain things haven't been observed. It also makes predictions. The fundamental predictions of the theory of evolution are simple: that evolution will continue to be observed to occur in the future, and that the fossil record will continue to support the theory of common descent.

Quote:
Quote:The incompleteness of the fossil record is not a problem at all. More fossils might give us more information about specific evolutionary pathways, but so far everything that has been found has been consistent with the idea that life has evolved.
But the problem is that for most all cases, the situation is analogous with being given 2/3 points and told to find the curve through them - simply not enough data to get a meaningful result.

How many points do you need for it to be meaningful?
Quote:
The data fit when Darwin made it, I guess, in the sense that all mammals have a similar skeletal system.

Darwin didn't just study mammals.
Quote:
But as I already said, he himself said that the fossil record would need to rapidly become much more complete. Not just to verify his theory, but that if it didn't, his theory was not correct.

Absolutely not. Lack of evidence can never disprove a theory. But I may have the theory that I have mail in my inbox. If I never looked, would that prove that I didn't have mail? Obviously not. The worst lack of evidence can do is dissuade scientists being from interested in a theory: a theory that has never been tested is of no use to anyone.
Quote:
We've had a long time since then - the number of fosils we've found must be 100's of times greater - but AFAIK the fossil record is not much different.

Well that doesn't follow at all. We've found tens of millions of fossils. The fossil record is obviously different.
Quote:
He based a theory on a small data sample and made a prediction. However if a much larger data sample doesn't give extra strength to the theory, that weakens it.

Well, no. The only thing that weakens a theory is data that contradicts with it. Extra data that confirms what we already know doesn't weaken a theory. It is true that not many intermediary forms have been found. However, lack of evidence cannot disprove a theory. Each and every fossil is a test of evolution. Those fossils that are incompatible with the theory of common ancestor are what need concern scientists.

If we were to find a fossilised giraffe in rock known to be hundreds of millions of years old, that would weigh heavily against the theory. Not such fossils have been found. There are gaps in the fossil record, but they may yet be filled.
Quote:
Quote:Biochemists may have problems with particular versions of evolutionary theories, but without evolution in general, biochemistry would be far less advanced than it is.
Why?

Because evolution is the reason why biochemical systems are the way they are. If a biochemist sees some chemical process that is confusing, she can use the knowledge that the process is the result of evolution to help understand it. She knows that processes in related organisms involving similar chemicals and occuring in similar circumstances are likely to be related to the one she is investigating. If the method and purpose of one of those processes is already understood, that aids her understanding of the process she is investigating.
Most of the people here though have a completely closed mind on this. Evolution is fact, everything has a naturalistic explanation etc. However it's the Christians who get labelled as indoctrinated and brainwashed if they suggest that athiestic theories have weaknesses.

I know I'm wasting two minutes of my life by taking you seriously, but here goes...

I searched every page of this thread for "brainwashed", and the only prior instance also belongs to dooohg, here:

Quote:Is this just another bickering thread where the athiests (most of whom never seriously considered the alternatives) repeatedly 'state' that Creationist views are without any evidence at all, that their proponents are brainwashed into believing such tripe

to which another poster responded that dooohg should find out for himself by actually, y'know, reading the thread. Such things are appearantly beneath our intrepid hero, because here he is days later, claiming that Christians are getting labeled as "indoctrinated" and "brainwashed", when in truth this has only happened in his mind. I especially enjoy the irony of his imagined persecution by knee-jerk dismissal juxtaposed against his ignorant claim that most of the opposition "never seriously considered the alternatives." He's at least correct in that *somebody* needs to open his eyes...
Sorry a couple of points...

• By evolution, most people are actually talking about some Darwinistic model in my experience. And Darwinism does not allow a creator or any kind of designer to be involved. You might think some kind of being guiding evolution is a good idea, but that is not Darwinism by definition.

• Some scientific theories don't conflict with Theistic beliefs, but others definately do - you can't just say they are completely unrelated. For instance the Big Bang theory is actually quite pleasing to many Christians and seems to sort of agree with many religions' beliefs. However, as mentioned already, Darwinism does not allow any kind of God who takes any part in the Universe to exist. This theory and most religions are mutually exclusive.

• It just is worth remembering the definitions and terminology.

So when people talk about evolution not conflicting with religion, what do you mean by evolution? Are you willing to accept perhaps a system of mutions and inheritance where the mutations are guided somehow?

Nathan Baum:
    Lack of extra evidence can make a theory weaker rather than just not making it stronger. One of the tests of a useful scientific theory is that is makes predictions which can be tested. One of Darwin's predictions was that the fossil record would quite quickly become a lot more complete in a way supporting evolution. I'd argue that hasn't happened yet. And also, if a few fossils look like supporting evolution, it's reasonable to extrapolate that there are many 'filling the gaps'. But when many many more data are found, if the data is no closer to doing that, then by simple statistical analysis, the original prediction is less likely to be true. I can't think of a completely suitable comparision, but imagine I pick 10 stones from a pebbly beach and two are red. I therefore predict that 20% of the stones are red, and state that when more data are found it will uphold my prediction. Subsequently, 1000 stones are examined and 10 red ones are found, so for the total sample just 1% are red. Does the lack of new evidence affect the strength of my theory?

[Edited by - d000hg on April 6, 2005 2:14:18 AM]
    Quote:Original post by BerwynIrish
    Most of the people here though have a completely closed mind on this. Evolution is fact, everything has a naturalistic explanation etc. However it's the Christians who get labelled as indoctrinated and brainwashed if they suggest that athiestic theories have weaknesses.

I know I'm wasting two minutes of my life by taking you seriously, but here goes...

I searched every page of this thread for "brainwashed", and the only prior instance also belongs to dooohg, here:

Quote:Is this just another bickering thread where the athiests (most of whom never seriously considered the alternatives) repeatedly 'state' that Creationist views are without any evidence at all, that their proponents are brainwashed into believing such tripe

to which another poster responded that dooohg should find out for himself by actually, y'know, reading the thread. Such things are appearantly beneath our intrepid hero, because here he is days later, claiming that Christians are getting labeled as "indoctrinated" and "brainwashed", when in truth this has only happened in his mind. I especially enjoy the irony of his imagined persecution by knee-jerk dismissal juxtaposed against his ignorant claim that most of the opposition "never seriously considered the alternatives." He's at least correct in that *somebody* needs to open his eyes...
    And er, whatever... just because I didn't read the first few pages before my (somewhat non-serious) first post, I have actually been following it since and trying to conduct a reasonable discussion. If it will make you feel better, I'll apologise for unhelpfulness of my first post.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement