• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

apt-get install SDL libs on Linux

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Edward_Sheets   Members   -  Reputation: 127

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:31 PM

I'm on Ubuntu Linux and I used apt-get to install libsdl1.2-dev and libsdl-mixer1.2-dev and that worked perfectly. But when I try "apt-get install libsdl-image1.2-dev" apt-get can't find the package. The libsdl-ttf2.0-dev package can't be found, either. I googled and those are supposed to be valid packages you can apt-get. Were the packages renamed or something? If any Linux users here have any ideas on how to apt-get the addon libs, I would appreciate any help!

Sponsor:

#2 Roots   Members   -  Reputation: 661

0Likes

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:25 AM

Open up Synaptic and search for "SDL". Debian has multiple different SDL images for using the alsa drivers, etc. so it just might be that you are not entering a valid name. Or you can do "apt-cache search SDL". Either way, make sure that the name of the SDL image you are trying to apt-get is valid first. Don't just rely on what you found on google when you can type a single command line and find out for yourself. [smile]

If you find that the names are indeed valid and you still can't install them, post here again and I'll see if I can help you resolve the issue. There shouldn't be one though. I've never had any problems installing SDL on Debian (not sure about Ubuntu though).
Hero of Allacrost --- http://www.allacrost.org
A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.

Latest release Oct. 10th, 2010.

#3 clayasaurus   Members   -  Reputation: 139

0Likes

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:46 AM

SDL image is not included in ubuntu, for a reason I do not know.

You're best off downloading the source from SDL's website and compiling it yourself. Edit the config file to link -lpng10 i think it is, or whatever png version ubuntu has, and use the command 'configure --prefix=/usr --enable-png', read the test make sure it worked. then do the normal configure, make, make install.

Edit: oh, and instead of symantic, you can just use 'apt-cache search sdl'

#4 Edward_Sheets   Members   -  Reputation: 127

0Likes

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:25 PM

Thank you, Roots and Clayasaurus.

I did look through Synaptic and I didn't find SDL-Image or SDL-TTF. I installed libsdl1.2-dev previously so I'm only looking for the add-on packages sdl-image and sdl-ttf. So it looks like only the main SDL development files are available through the Debian apt-get system. And apt-cache search returned no results for the libsdl-image or libsdl-ttf development files.

It looks like you're right, Clay. I just need to compile the add-on sdl libs from the source! I should have just done that to start with, I guess. :)

Thanks again

-Ed-

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS