Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Need a programmer

Started by Caged Apr 18, 2005 at 9:09 AM 14 replies 1.9k views
Original Post
Caged
Caged
I am in need of someone that has some experience with online games. Specifically, one-dimensional map-based games in which the user moves around a map (north, south, east, west)picking up resources and using those resources to upgrade certain attributes. I have the concepts and elaborate story boards for the look of the game, but I have no idea how to take the game from concept to finished product. The game will be free to play, but will generate money by providing an advertising medium. I have advertisers already on board and the hosting has been paid for 2 years of service. All I need is someone to join me and help me make the game a reality. Any intersted parties can contact me by message here in the game. Give me a list of your abilities and a site that you have created (which I can see) would be great. Message me here in the game with a brief bio of yourself (name, age, location, experience) and we can discuss the concept and compensation. Thanks! Caged
jbadams
jbadams
You want the Help Wanted forum.
- Jason Astle-Adams
Caged
Caged
Ok, how can 58 people view this post and no one reply. that kills me. lol.

sanguineraven
sanguineraven
I'm sorry. I've never tried a one dimensional map *snicker*
Evil Steve
Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by Caged
Ok, how can 58 people view this post and no one reply. that kills me. lol.
Could you provide more information? Just saying you want an online map based game is far to broad. Also, since this post has been moved into the Help Wanted forum, it might be an idea to post something using the Template.

That and you want a "one-dimensional map-based games in which the user moves around a map (north, south, east, west)". So a 1 dimensional map in 2 dimeansions. I assume you actually meant a 2D map [smile]
MindWipe
MindWipe
Please explain how you move in four direction in a 1D map. And I'll be your coder.

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Pouya
Pouya
It will be a 1 D mmorpg, and the mages can use MAGIC to move in 4 directions.
sanguineraven
sanguineraven
Maybe you could have some awesome 'bullet-time' feature which temporarily switches you to 2d or even 3d. That would rule.
Caged
Caged
Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by Caged
Ok, how can 58 people view this post and no one reply. that kills me. lol.
Could you provide more information? Just saying you want an online map based game is far to broad. Also, since this post has been moved into the Help Wanted forum, it might be an idea to post something using the Template.

That and you want a "one-dimensional map-based games in which the user moves around a map (north, south, east, west)". So a 1 dimensional map in 2 dimeansions. I assume you actually meant a 2D map [smile]



Project 1472-1A:

Concept:
The game would be map-based with users moving north, south, east, west around a world that is roughly 15,000 spaces in size. They would obtain resources in this world and then use those resources to upgrade attributes of their "account".

Target aim:
Online-based game - Free

Compensation:
This would be open for discussion among prospective applicants.

Technology:
I have no idea what technology should be or could be used. That would be 'your' job.

Talent needed:
Need someone to design and construct the game from my concept and story boards.

Team structure:
Only myself and I am seeking only 1 other person. I want to keep the number of people to a minimum. Addiotnal people could be hired to help manage the game if needed.

Website:
Materials available once you are aboard.

Contacts:
Please contact John: john0426@go-concepts.com

Additional Info:
Not at this time.
Pouya
Pouya
Quote:
Original post by Caged
Project 1472-1A:
Hey, can we see some examples of your previous 1471 projects please?
Caged
Caged
Quote:
Original post by Pouya
Quote:
Original post by Caged
Project 1472-1A:
Hey, can we see some examples of your previous 1471 projects please?


Sorry, 1471 previous projects do not exist. The number itself carries a significance and it was dubbed that 2 months ago when the concept began.

Caged
Brandon N
Brandon N
Quote:
Original post by Caged
Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by Caged
Ok, how can 58 people view this post and no one reply. that kills me. lol.
Could you provide more information? Just saying you want an online map based game is far to broad. Also, since this post has been moved into the Help Wanted forum, it might be an idea to post something using the Template.

That and you want a "one-dimensional map-based games in which the user moves around a map (north, south, east, west)". So a 1 dimensional map in 2 dimeansions. I assume you actually meant a 2D map [smile]



Project 1472-1A:

Concept:
The game would be map-based with users moving north, south, east, west around a world that is roughly 15,000 spaces in size. They would obtain resources in this world and then use those resources to upgrade attributes of their "account".

Target aim:
Online-based game - Free

Compensation:
This would be open for discussion among prospective applicants.

Technology:
I have no idea what technology should be or could be used. That would be 'your' job.

Talent needed:
Need someone to design and construct the game from my concept and story boards.

Team structure:
Only myself and I am seeking only 1 other person. I want to keep the number of people to a minimum. Addiotnal people could be hired to help manage the game if needed.

Website:
Materials available once you are aboard.

Contacts:
Please contact John: john0426@go-concepts.com

Additional Info:
Not at this time.

That really added very little in the way of details to your original post.

Give us some actual details, some meat!
Caged
Caged
I would love to, but I'd actually like to give the details to those that are genuinely interested in joining and who agree to a non-disclosure agreement. I am not going to post the details of a game online for all to see and take advantage of before I even get off the ground. I have given enough detail to let those that might be interested know what to expect. Once does need to know the concept of the game to determine if they have the skills required to make an online map-based game.

Thanks!
Caged
johnhattan
johnhattan
So I need to join your project in order to find out what the project is?
(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually
Caged
Caged
No, you would need to contact me in a more private setting... such as "private message" or the email address I provided. At that time, we could discuss the basics. Should you be interested in learning more and possibly joining, then we can discuss the game in great detail after a non-disclosure agreement is signed. A non-disclosure agreement is designed to keep someone from taking the details of the game we discuss and telling someone or utilizing those details themselves.

Caged

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.