Print magazine!?!? What is this???

Started by
6 comments, last by SeanHowe 23 years, 5 months ago
Dude, I was reading through the past polls section and came across one polling about who would subscribe or buy a printed GameDev magazine. You guys still have that on the burner? That would kick total ass! I don''t want to start a following here or anything but if you need any help I''d be glad to lend my literary skills.... ============================== "Need more eeenput..." - #5, "Short Circuit" ==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
I am also up for a lending of my literary skills... Give me a column for RPG''s and I could fill it for a year at least

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

attaboy Dwarfy - that's the spirit. Errr.... sorry I called you Dwarfy - I just posted in that newbies thread and I'm still all fuzzy and warm.... DAMN that inner monologue!!

==============================
"Need more eeenput..."

- #5, "Short Circuit"

Edited by - Gaiiden on November 16, 2000 9:59:16 PM

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

If that idea is still alive, I''d be more than happy to write something about DX8 for an article..
[catalyst]
I call forth a GDNet Staff Member to respond.
[/catalyst]
No offense, guys, it usually takes a while to discuss this stuff I guess.

And yes, I realize that since you all are doing this part time, a print magazine would be kinda too much. However, that''s what you got us for! I was planning a games mag with a bunch of friends a few months back, but no one warmed up to it (well, not enough anyway). I''m sure you could gather enough volunteers from the boards to help you out and just promote yourselves to Editors and we''ll submit articles and stuff for you guys to look over. Or if that''d too much, maybe the Staffers can form like a group of Editors at the top that make sure the mag stays on track and have regular Eds from the forums do the articles and stuff (moderators maybe?) I dunno, just trying to help out a little here.

"Need more eeenput..."

- #5, "Short Circuit"

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I really can''t make an official comment on the state of the magazine, but the notion that we don''t have the time for it is pretty accurate. Unfortunately, it''s not as simple as having a few volunteers from the forums help out, unless there are people who either have significant professional game development experience, or professional experience doing a print magazine.
Thats a good idea guys but it just seems destined to fail.

GameDeveloper is already the sister publication of GameDev and they don''t do anything at all BUT the magazine. Advertisers would be reluctant to buy space when there is already one game development magazine out (and so closely linked) and then you would have to pass the idea by the publishers too. For the demographic percent of Game Developers compared to the population that reads magazines, there just aren''t enough of us (Or people here to do it) to support such a magazine.

Besides, how much of the magazine would really be different from GameDeveloper? They would have the same news, ads, reviews(usually). Only difference would be feature articles on topics such as what GameDeveloper''s 3D topics now.

Be happy, we already get one magazine (Most of us for FREE) so lets not start begging for another (just yet).
Game Developer is the sister publication of Gamasutra, not GameDev.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement