Standardising the UI

Started by
21 comments, last by Gocontact 23 years, 5 months ago
One problem that I have discussed with some people are the,-sometimes, steep learningcurve for playing new games. Is there a possibility that it''s time for a standardisation of UI? If people have to play a game for two-three hours just to grasp the plot and UI, then it must be something wrong somewhere? Or shall we just relax and think that UI for games shall continue like it did for normal applications during DOS-times? Could be good with a ''Game-UI-Consortium''.
Advertisement
I don''t think many people would support standardizing any aspect of the actual look and gameplay mechanics of a game. I know I wouldn''t.

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

Next thing you know, they''ll take my thoughts away.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
Even if it meant that a hypotetical 50% more people would try and buy your game?
I agree with the fact that people sometimes have to play a game for a long time just to understand the UI, but I think by standardizing it across alot of games would make every game look and feel the same. It''s a difficulty we''ll just all have to deal with when we get a new game.

On the other hand, I like how (for instance) on the SNES, the A button became the norm for the accept and B became the norm for cancel. Y is usually the menu and X is some special button. That kind of standardizatin is fine. I hate how on the playstation, every RPG''s controls are different, so when I say to attack, I push the wrong button and end up doing something dumb. I don''t play alot of FPS on the computer, but from the old games I used to play, I think the control button has become the standard for firing. We''re gettin there. =)
C:DOSC:DOSRUNRUN DOSRUN
I do agree that such standardisation would fail through all the genres, but it could be considered for games that may have something in common( as genres ) or we just end up with UI''s that are being completely dumb downed because the developer wants it sell more. Why do think games as Doom, Command and Conquer and Tomb Raider became so widely popular? It was partly due to it''s UI, because the games did not need anything more advanced.
What if you had a similar configuration of UI for a simple mode, but an advanced mode is more customised to your game. Truly though, I am with Iron (almost thought you were Wav again ). The UI doesn''t sell the game, the game does... And the UI must suit the game... Otherwise the game just seems out of place with the UI...

And MY game would never be MY game if I was using SOMEONE ELSES "standard UI"... It just isn''t cricket

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

I highly doubt the number of people buying the game would increase by 50%. In fact, I doubt that there would be any increase at all. How many times have you been in a software store and decided not to buy a game because you feared the controls would be too hard to master? Not likely. And anyway, the fact is that like Dwarf said, if the UI doesn't fit the game, it will hurt your game much more than enough to offset whatever gain the standardization gives you.

On a different note, how would you even go about standardizing something as general as the UI? You'd have to divide games into so many categories that the standards would become useless. And it sure puts a damper on anyone who has an idea for something new!

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

Next thing you know, they'll take my thoughts away.

Edited by - Ironblayde on November 16, 2000 3:08:48 AM
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
The only ''standardisation'' that I can think that would be useful would be if you had all the same elements. If I was going to use the Diablo UI for a standard, that would FORCE me to have a health bar (or sphere.. Whatever ) and make me use MANA! Why the hell do I need Mana? I have my own magic systems based on candles for Gawd-sakes! And about the belt, what if I didn''t want a belt, and what if I had a weighted inventory, and what if I didn''t use stats, and what if I didn''t want the player to talk to others, what if it was totally single player, what if ... etc. etc...

A standard UI is just going to make it hell for a developer. FULL STOP, EXCLAIMATION MARK AND PERIOD.!.

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

I don''t like the sound of a standard UI at all. If I see another interface that looks like Baulder''s Gate, I''m going to seriously pouya (send some pictures that I scanned to) the companies that use it.

Not only does the UI have to suit the particular game from the standpoint of ease and understandability, but there is the more superficial part too. The UI should have character, and the art and textures for it should fit well w/ the game which wouldn''t happpen if there was a generic UI.

Although I agree, it should not take 2-3 hrs really to understand the UI. I can maybe see it taking an hour to 3 hrs to perhaps understand everything about the game''s mechanics but it should not take anywhere near that long just to learn the UI. If it does, then there''s a flaw in the design of the UI IMO.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Click here to see my current project.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Then it gets into the realm of having two UI''s. A novice and an expert one... Expert is for those who know the mechanics inside out, and novice basically teaches the player how to use the basic tools in the UI and teaches about the mechanics at the same time.... That is only if the UI is REALLY difficult to understand, otherwise have a manual (not a good idea... Simplicity is the goal)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement