looking for GLUT replacement

Started by
22 comments, last by JavaCoolDude 18 years, 10 months ago
I'm looking for a very small and lightweight OpenGL framework, like GLUT. Anyone heard of what I'm looking for? *hopes* Or have missed something in the libriares I've checked? :) I want:
  • Easy OpenGL window creation (only need 1 window).
  • Lightweight.
  • A right-click context menu, like in GLUT.
  • Keyboard support
  • Mouse support
  • Cross plattform
I do not want:
  • Have to resort to globals.
  • Sound support (although I don't care if it's there).
Those I've seen so far:
  • FreeGLUT - still have to use globals to pass data to callback funcs.
  • GLFW - doesn't have a context menu.
  • SDL - kinda big for my needs & doesn't have a context menu.
  • wxWidgets - really big (not lightweight) for my needs & I would have to make everything myself.
Currently not verified:
  • Ghost - a standalone Blender lib
  • Cpw
  • AllegroGL - although Allegro is a bit big, just like SDL.
  • NGL - seems big, but has a flexible window system allowing context menus
  • OGLWFW
I checked through this list to no avail. The library I choose is going to be wrapped to become my basic rendering framework. I'll be using it for some simple render technique demos and I decided that a context menu is the simplest and nicest way to switch between techniquer per demo. [Edited by - Seriema on July 13, 2005 2:20:56 PM]
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Advertisement

[google]

[Edited by - ff8 on June 6, 2005 4:15:32 PM]
ff8: and how do you think I found FreeGLUT and GLFW?

moving on...
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
check this one Here! from goolge
ff8, thx for the link!

Quote:
ghost doc
Because GHOST is a replacement for GLUT, it is able to handle all of the GLUT requirements which arise in Blender. These include:

* Timer management.
* Display / window management (only on the main display).
* Event management.
* Cursor shape management (currently no custom cursors).
* Access to mouse buttons, mouse wheel, and keyboard information.

They don't mention the context menu, but I know Blender has em. Couldn't find anything on context menus in the help file. I'm gonna check some more but I sure hope it has it :D

It also seems to have a tendency for globals, because you can't pass your own objects to their callbacks. Or have I misread something?
Well if it wasnt for the context menu, GLFW would be your best choice. If you really need it, is it not possible to do a simple context menu class drawn using GL_QUADS? Shouldnt be too difficult to implement, or you could use a OpenGL based GUI library(GLUi, etc...).

try ngl / nui

http://home.gna.org/ngl/news.html

(if you have problems, with ngl 0.8 compilation, try 7.9 work great for me).
Quote:Original post by GamerSg
Well if it wasnt for the context menu, GLFW would be your best choice. If you really need it, is it not possible to do a simple context menu class drawn using GL_QUADS? Shouldnt be too difficult to implement, or you could use a OpenGL based GUI library(GLUi, etc...).

Hmm yeah a rendered context menu would work. But what I'm looking for isn't terrible advanced since GLUT has it, so it surprises me that no other OpenGL framework has done something equal.

Quote:Original post by nurbsway
try ngl / nui

That seems like a full blown library. Couldn't find a context menu in the docs though, did I miss it?

*updates original post*

[Edited by - Seriema on June 6, 2005 1:45:20 PM]

for the contextual menu you have to create it by composing the elements you want with a nuiWindow (you can show or hide this window by calling the method "SetVisible( bool Visible)" ).

example, if you want to show you contextual menu, after a right click, you have to test if their is a click by overloading the methode nuiMainWindow::onMouseClick(int X, int Y, nglMouseFlags Button) and then call your nuiWindow SetVisible methode.

hope that's clear
That sounds pretty nifty actually =) I'll be checking in to it. It seems like a good demo library all in all. It differs from my initial goal of only having a Init Window + OGL + keyboard + mouse and making the rest myself. But in a good way, I just have to drop some ego if I'm gonna use it hehe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement