I need your opinion

Started by
16 comments, last by LockePick 18 years, 10 months ago
It's been on my journal for a day now, but I'd like your opinion on the animation for my up-coming game. Read at http://members.gamedev.net/johnhattan/journal/ and leave a comment with your opinion. Big thanks in advance.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Advertisement
I think the animation is soild, and I like #2, because it has a more cartoon feel to it. And because the bulldozer has eyes, I think you are shooting for the cartoon style.

#2 rocks my socks.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
#2 with a slightly thiner outline gets my vote
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
I agree with DigitalDelusion. #2 definately. Outline about 1/2 of what it is now.

Good work
J
This is incredible. I'm on an emotional rollercoaster ride. First I see a blasphemous perversity like this, and now I'm looking at the greatest animation of all time. I love them both. Maybe a slightly thinner outline on the second one, but it'd help to see what the background would be like.
Nein heer du smign. ah open up the nine im heer du shmine
I liked the first one. The border is wierd, but I don't really know waht your are aiming for with this, so I don't know if the bordermight be more apropriate for your game or not.
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Nice animation!..but I prefer it without the border.
I would think a combination of the two would be best. The first one looks good except that it looks faded, and the second one looks good except for the thick line around it which looks kind of weird.

So I guess my vote would be #1 with higher contrast.

Edit: on second glance, they do look the same, but I stand by my opinion still. :) #1 would look nice with slightly higher contrast.
Definitely depends what background it's going to be put on (it'd be good to see what it looks like moving over ground, if that's what it's going to do in the game, too)

Out of those two, I'd say without the border is better, or possibly with a much thinner border - definitely not as good with the border as thick as it is in #2 (although it's just about possible a border that thick could work on some backgrounds)

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
I think it looks so much better without the border.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement