MMORPG - How many servers should I buy ?

Started by
63 comments, last by GodBeastX 18 years, 8 months ago
You can do a fair amount of prediction on the client side to help reduce some of the graphic lag. However this could result in players 'popping' into the correct spots as new data comes from the server. But in most cases a little prediction can dramtically reduce data that you need to dump onto the network. Instead of sending a players position all the time you can just send heading/velocity. You also need to send a guarenteed delivery of position at regular intervals but doesn't have to be every second. Also figuring out 'when' to place data on the network is important as well. If a player is not moving then we don't need to flood the network with that.

Advertisement
L. O. L.
Quote:Original post by xJOKERx
However you continue to be jerk in your next reply by judging me and my staff on something you have no idea about, stating things like ,

"Also just FYI you would need to have more subscribers than Lineage + Lineage 2 + World of Warcraft + Final Fantasy XI + Everquest 2 combined before you start to worry about 500,000 concurrent players. For an indie such as yourself you should actually be looking more towards the 500-1000 concurrent users number, and even that is high."

and..

"If you are asking these questions you aren't even close to having the game finished and most likely aren't even started."

Those are proven facts, not fiction. I am sorry if you are offended by that as it wasn't meant to be a bash against you... just industry experience mixed with things I have seen on GDNet. I mean that first quote had nothing to do with you, I just stated some very simple mathematics and what we have seen in the past.

On top of that you are honestly going to tell me that the second quote is false? You said yourself you have no software to test with. I mean you even posting thinking that a single machine could hold 500,000 concurrent users, that really showed your knowledge of network game development right there.

Just FYI I never once said it was impossible for you to do, I just told you what you would have to achieve in order to attain those numbers.. and that is basically to have the number of subscriptions of all current NA + Lineage MMOG games combined :)

[Edited by - Saruman on July 12, 2005 1:01:34 PM]
NO MMORPG IN EXISTANCE HAS EVER HAD HALF A MILLION PLAYERS ON AT A TIME!

Now that we have that established, most games only support about 900-1000 players on a single server at a time.

You are an indie developer and shouldnt expect more then 100-200 to start.

You dont even have anything finished yet, and shouldnt even be worried about this. When you get the server software finished, start doing load testing to see how much your current PC and connection can handle. THEN you start calculating.

This can be said right now though: You will have to get your future server its own connection. Which means you will be paying around 30+ a month for it. You will only need 1 MAYBE(depending on what you are doing) 2 servers to start. And they dont have to be THAT powerfull if you have a good connection.

"Unless you are doing some very fancy stuff, and/or you are not a very good programmer, an AVERAGE machine (say, a 1.5GHZ CPU, 512 RAM) can accomodate about 3 game servers, each with 1K or more active players."

This is all to true. Most overdue it and get dual processor machines and whatnot. Which is a waste, because you would have to program the server software to use both processors.
The return of NWN is the will of the gods; and i, am their instrument.
Quote:Original post by Saruman
I mean you even posting thinking that a single machine could hold 500,000 concurrent users, that really showed your knowledge of network game development right there.

From the OP:

Quote:Original post by xJOKERx
and needed to purchase "x" number of servers to keep the game running smoothly for approx 500,000 people, how many servers should I purchase?

He's hardly speaking of a single server hosting 500k players..

But i do agree that for an independant developer, 500k players at the same time is the domain of science fiction. Unless you've got a few million dollars to spare.

Y.
You could have got Wish's MMORPG server from Ebay for a small $120,000. :)
Quote:Original post by Ysaneya
He's hardly speaking of a single server hosting 500k players..

Maybe next time read the thread? Here is a quote from page one after somebody mentioned dedicated hosting:

Quote:
My question is , do you think HOSTIK could run a entire MMORPG like ( Starwars Galaxies , or World of Warcraft ) on one of their dedicated servers and we as the company only have to pay a montly rate of $179.00 a month ?

Notice the 'on one of their dedicated servers'... So yes, that was talking about a single server.
Quote:The reason why we are stressing over here about server numbers is because we are trying to project a budget for costs over the next year.

As others have pointed out, try to focus on how many users you can fit per server. You don't have to buy all your servers at once. The only sound advice I can give you is to work from the mmogchart data hplus0603 pointed you at to try and estimate growth.

Quote:At what point should you start to place emphasis on things like network peformance and are there any guidelines we should follow for graphics to reduce lag and render times without seriously compramising the graphics ?

Graphics are a client-side issue. Network performance isn't really a reason to rein in your graphics team. On the other hand, don't expect your graphics system programmer to implement the networking system - you'll do better with separate developers/teams dealing with these distinct issues and working in parallel. The network code affects how fast the world is updated on the client while the graphics code affects how fast those updates are pushed to the screen (can you say "multithreading?" [smile]).

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
This guy has been here a week and he's talking MMORPG. I get modded down cause I "LOL". This thread should have been closed from the start so people with real knowledge can help people who aren't trolling or excessively naive.

V.
Quote:Original post by vidalsasoon
This guy has been here a week and he's talking MMORPG. I get modded down cause I "LOL". This thread should have been closed from the start so people with real knowledge can help people who aren't trolling or excessively naive.

V.

Yes, who are these stupid people trying to get answers to questions? Don't they know any better?

I think I will follow your advice and drop in on a class at the start of the university term and LOL at all the 'naive' students there that don't know what a fourier transform is. Stupid people trying to learn....

Don't like it don't read it and especially don't post if you don't have some valid information.... I'm sure your "LOL" post added a lot to the discussion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement