Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Problems with "old" DirectX .dll files

Started by absolutemst3k Aug 24, 2005 at 1:59 AM 1 replies 8.4k views
Original Post
absolutemst3k
absolutemst3k
I just discovered a problem on my Acer Travelmate 800 (1.3 Ghz Centrino, 768 Ram, and Radeon 9000 vid card) When I try to to any 3D work or even play games such as World of Warcraft, it tells me: "World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3D acceleration." I updated my driver to the latest Omega Driver for ATI, and tried to reinstall DirectX and it told me it was installed successfully, BUT in the dgdiag it says "The file d3d9d.dll is an old version, which could cause problems. Several files (d3dx8d.dll, d3d9d.dll, dimap.dll, etc.) are debug versions, which will run slower than the retail version. You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version." I'm guessing it's the d3d9d.dll that's my problem with WoW (and why "TestDirect3D" doesn't work for Direct3D 9+) but how do I get a "new" version of that .dll file? The dxsetup.exe tells me that Directx 9.0c is fully installed, yet the dxdiag tells me to reinstall it...AHH!!! I've scoured the net, and it seems this problem is not uncommon, yet MS doesn't seem to have any solutions for it. I was about to reinstall Windows XP, but I can't find the CD, so any other thoughts?
Staffan E
Staffan E
On the Control Panel->DirectX settings dialog; on the Direct3D tab there is an option between "Use Debug Version od Direct3D" and "Use Retail Version of Direct3D". Does changing this option help in any way? (It should be in Retail mode if you're not developing)
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
absolutemst3k
absolutemst3k
You're a genius! I can't believe I hadn't tried that, I looked at the info but didn't switch to the retail version. Thanks a lot, I should be able to continue now!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.