free fonts, bdf or otherwise

Started by
2 comments, last by taleril 23 years, 4 months ago
I am trying to find a font, or fonts, to use in a project I am working on. I want to be sure that I am not breaking any copyrights, so I am looking for some free fonts. I''ve tried searching the web, but all of the fonts are wacky, crazy, or just plain nasty. The format is not too terribly important. Something like .bdf, .ttf, or .sfp. This project might be used commercially, so I need to be 100% sure that I''m using a free font. So, long story short, is there a site out there that any of you know of where I could find a free font(under the GNU license maybe)? Thanks for any help you can give. taleril gte756h@prism.gatech.edu
Advertisement
What kind of font are you looking for ??? You say the ones on the net are too wacky, so what are you trying to find ?
There are tons of websites out there with free, or shareware fonts, but if you are more specific I could narrow it down for you...

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Something completely plain and normal. I''d use Times New Roman or Arial but they are copyrighted. I tried to find just plain fonts on the web, but all of the sites I could find had fonts more for novelty use than anything business-like. So I''m looking for a font that is completely free for any use(both personal and commercial), and looks plain and boring. If you could help at all, i''d be very grateful. Thanks.

taleril
OK, I read your question again, and I think you might be mistaken. Copyrights are only there to protect the creator of a work, in this case of a font. The person creating the font doesnt want anyone else to pretend they created it in the first place. The fact that you *USE* a font is not an infringment on the copyrights, if the font is FREE to download.
Arial (which is not the best IMHO), is free to download, hence you can use it in your programs, as long as you dont claim it''s an original font. You could eventually name the creator of the fonts in the Credits of your project ?
For FREE fonts, you can look all over the Internet. For plain ones, try here...
If you got the cash, Adobe have excellent fonts to sell.

if you dont trust my opinion (I am no Law expert, I just had one year of Legal issues during my Computer course, that''s all), you can always email the author/site where you got the font to make sure.

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement