One Week/One Button 2 Winners: Trapper Zoid and scgrn

Started by
587 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by Zefrieg
Here, you gave an erroneous comment about the lack of a gameplay feature that was actually in the game. Instead of retracting the comment, you change it to something else.

No.

What he did, when you pointed out the gameplay feature that he hadn't noticed through his play of the game was telling you: It is too subtle, maybe you should change it a little. (Personally I never noticed this either, while playing through your game.)

Instead of going further, take it as constructive critisism
Don't Temp Fate..
Advertisement
Wow, after all this crap, I'll be surprised if anyone offers to judge anything on this site again.

I think some better judging criteria would have been nice, and having all the judges rate all the games would have been great, but I don't think anyone really deserved some of the flames that have been going around. Well, JDUK maybe.

The contest was fun, and I'm enjoying some of the games quite a bit =D

[Edited by - Avatar God on November 27, 2005 12:19:41 PM]
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Wow! Thanks everyone, I'm flattered!

Congradulations to TrapperZoid; Pierre and the Fish is a great game, and I have absolutely no qualms with keeping it a tie.

Thanks to all the other entrants, the judges, Schmedly and EDI, Ravuya for hosting, and Karl the Pseudoscorpion.

A lot of people have noticed that there is a bug at the end of the game, when you reach full size you can't jump. I noticed this about five minutes before the deadline and I was frantically trying to hunt down the cause, but couldn't find it in time. One friend described it as this: "Maybe it isn't broken. Maybe it's symbolic of the fact that, no matter how much you evolve, humans kill you."
Yeah, that works.

We entered the contest two days before the end and had to cut a lot things out to meet the deadline. We're planning on doing a (bug-free) finished version for the OneSwitch CD, and the game will also be hosted as an applet here once it's completed. I'm really anxious for people that enjoyed the game to see it as we had intended it to be.

Anyone notice this thread made the "Top 25 Hottest Topics of All Time"?

I had a blast, and I'll definitely be entering more contests down the road. Thanks again everyone!

[Edited by - scgrn on November 26, 2005 5:41:57 PM]
scgrn, you should check your PMs [grin].
Quote:Original post by JDUK

Intergalactic Coin Collector.
The game play here was very unforgiving considering the control system. You travel in broad arks and the coins are situated near the spike filled corners so if you start a turn too late you can be headed straight for a spike trap and trying to steer away will only send you into another when your jammed in a corner because of the “traveling in arks” mechanism.
The bullets where also hard to keep track of because of the drab gray floor, also tiny, yellow & red bullets backed onto gray was a bit of an eye strain as well.
Tighter turning, bigger bullets and less gray could have seen this game scoring quite a bit higher .
4/10

I also noticed that it was too hard to control; I slowed it down, making it easier to control, on the night of the contest, but I didn't e-mail Ravuya with the updated version because it was a few hours after the deadline. I posted the new version earlier in this thread.

Just now I replaced the grey tiles with a black starfield, made the bullets bigger and easier to see (white/cyan), and tweaked the speeds some more. It still doesn't look great artistically, but hopefully it's easier on the eyes.

version 1.02

I'll try to update the levels tomorrow; there's only five levels, and they progress from easy to almost impossible, so the learning curve is still a little too steep.

I hope this improved it, though.
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
scgrn, you should check your PMs [grin].

Haha, yeah... I haven't been able to be online much while all of this has been going on.
Congrats to TrapperZoid and scgn, awesome games. I've really enjoyed this contest - its actually motivated me to get on with making a game rather than "planning on making my next game someday". Plus it's been useful having some honest criticism, I can see how some people have differing views on pacing, difficulty and midi music [wink]. Is 1W1B going to be a regular contest then?
Congrats to the winners!

Obviously this contest has caused something of a furore with the judging, but that I guess goes to show that running a contest is something you need to practice, just like making an entry for a contest! I definitely need the practice of coming up with an innovative idea rahter than just coding a huge system!

That guy who wanted to host our entries - Ravuya did you say he could contact us or is he waiting on us? Like others I would be happy to give a more polished version.

<Edit>
A couple of things about the results page:
1)It still says the results aren't final!
2)Can they be arranged in score order please?

Oh, and after Andrew's abstention, I only got judged by 3 judges. It seemed like the judges who only rated some games focused on those which already had good ratings. Only getting rated by 3/6 judges is pretty unreliable given the widely varying scores from different judges (although if I'd have done better or worse I can't know). Although obviously judges do this in their spare time, maybe people shouldn't volunteer unless they have the commitment to finish the task?
I was interested to do some studies on the results from the 6 judges:
http://www.freewebs.com/d000hg/1w1b_2/1w1b2_stats.xls

Basically you can see the mean and standard deviation for the scores each judge gave. You can also see, for each entry, how many deviations from the mean each judge's score for that entry was.
I was hoping I could use this to give a 'projected' scrore for each entry - ie if 2 judges didn't score an entry then work out a guess of what they may have given. However my statistical knowledge is too rusty to know a good way of doing this.

If anyone else would like to play with this then please do - for instance the 2 judges who gave the highest mean scores didn't rate my entry and this must be true for others as well. I do not for one moment suggest our final scores are altered - it's a statistical exercise only. In any case the winners both got 5 scores so I'm sure they would still be the winners.

Anyone got a few minutes?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement