Anyone know a good, free MSI editor (not Orca)?

Started by
13 comments, last by capn_midnight 15 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
I'd found the Files table using Orca, but I couldn't figure out how to extract them. I tried what you suggested (treating it as a .cab), but it didn't work. I tried both WinRAR and CabArc (default windows cab utility) and both indicate it isn't a cab file.
Have you tried using the dark tool part of WiX to decompile MSIs? I can't remember if it'll completely extract files for you, but it's worth a try.

Advertisement
That's wierd, it works for me with the latest version of WinRAR. Did you actually rename the file, though? That's the only way I can make it work.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

Quote:Original post by mutex
[...]Have you tried using the dark tool part of WiX to decompile MSIs? I can't remember if it'll completely extract files for you, but it's worth a try.
I just did, and it works except that it won't use long file names so a lot of files end up with randomly generated names (it makes one up if there isn't a short name in the file) which makes most of the files worthless =-(
I guess I'll have to check out it's source to see if I can switch the behavior, because there doesn't seem to be a command line option to make it use the long file names.

Oh, and I tried installing the SDK w/ VS2005express. Stupid me, I forgot it totally destroys everything it takes over when you uninstall it, rather than restoring it to the previous state, so now I have to go let VS 2002 repair itself for a few hours before I can continue user-friendly development. (It didn't work btw, same error message about missing required software)

[Edited by - Extrarius on November 16, 2005 4:29:16 PM]
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
There's always InstEd - a new, free MSI editor that's an alternative to Orca from Microsoft .
It's frequently updated (just added support for MSI 5.0) and it was developed as a free MSI editor specifically to address the shortcomings of Orca. A new plugin is also now available.

[Edited by - csteddy on April 14, 2009 5:16:32 AM]
Quote:Original post by aidan_walsh
Quote:Original post by frob
Quote:Original post by coldacid
It's not in Standard Edition, either. You need Pro or Team System to do MSI with Visual Studio 2005. Which is where my problem doth lay.

Microsoft claims that the standard version includes a "Click Once" deployment tool, which presumably is a simple MSI packager.

ClickOnce and MSI are not nearly the same thing. ClickOnce (although it actually requires two clicks [three if you want to be really pedantic]!) is a deployment option aimed at Smart Clients, and can be considered in the same vein as Java Webstart.

It can be used to install normal, disconnected applications. I've had good luck with using it. It will even automatically handle certain dependencies for you.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement