CreateDialog failed from a static lib...

Started by
1 comment, last by LowRad 18 years, 4 months ago
Hi all, I am currently trying to add a nice little configuration dialog to my engine. Everything is compiling and linking fine. But when i call CreateDialog with the appropriate parameters it is returning NULL. The error code returned is 1812: The specified image file did not contain a resource section. As i red on the internet on the few posts i found about that, they were stating that a static lib do not contain any data section, meaning the Dialog Template is not getting included into the final lib. My question is: - Is all that informations founded ? - Is there any workaround? - Is building my engine into a lib is a good idea? It's make so long that i didnt code in C++/Win32, you're getting used easily to the sweet .NET api ;) Thank for your help, Jonathan
Advertisement
I hadn't heard that before but it does make a certain about of sense, if you want that information included you can make a .dll instead of a .lib (.lib's are code only, whereas .dll's are just like .exe's).

As a general rule you shouldn't create GUI elements in a library though. Provide the information and functions to set it and let the user create the interface.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Quote:Original post by Shannon Barber
I hadn't heard that before but it does make a certain about of sense, if you want that information included you can make a .dll instead of a .lib (.lib's are code only, whereas .dll's are just like .exe's).

Is it alot more work to create a .dll instead of a static lib. Or it is as easy as building and using a lib for an existing project?
Quote:Original post by Shannon Barber
As a general rule you shouldn't create GUI elements in a library though. Provide the information and functions to set it and let the user create the interface.

This is an interessting comment, in fact, even if you tell me than dll and lib are not that different, i'll probably change the design a bit to give the user more freedom to create his own dialog using the provided set of functions...

Thanks for commenting,
Jonathan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement