MMORPG

Started by
102 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 3 months ago
Hi, me and a couple of friends are making an MMORPG, but we have no idea how to start. Can anyone help us make character files?
Advertisement
If you have no idea where to start then character files are going to be the least of your worries. Do you and your friends have any game developing experience? It is hard to guide you without knowing what level of skills you have.
Well,
look here for some models to start with:
http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/
Well first you're going to have to define what you mean by character files. Do you mean a 3D model of an in-game character, a file defining various variables that define the characters behaviour (e.g. stuff like strength, stamina, allignment), a script to control the character, or a combination of the above? Prehaps I'm completely on the wrong track and you're talking about font characters?

If you really have no idea how to start you should consider that an MMO is not the project for you and your friends as they're not easy to create. If you want something multiplayer a MUD may be easier.
Honestly I must say, without any experiance you WILL NOT complete an MMORPG, many try it, few finish them, the ones that actually finish MMORPGs have years upon years of experiance, and large teams with the same amount of experiance.

Really, think about it, if it was just that easy to make an MMORPG, why wouldn't everyone be making one? Because it's not, and they can't.
We actually do have some good expieriance programming. We know how to do the networking, we can also make a little bit of AI. And we also have a team currently of about 30 people.

And we were meaning characters in which they could log onto and have a 2-d sprite.
If you're using C++, which is object-oriented, you can make objects which have an image array as one of their data members, housing all the sprites, and drawing each one onto the screen as needed...

Is that what you mean?
Quote:Original post by PNT
We actually do have some good expieriance programming. We know how to do the networking, we can also make a little bit of AI. And we also have a team currently of about 30 people.

And we were meaning characters in which they could log onto and have a 2-d sprite.

You don't have to lie to look experienced, we've all been new at one point in time.

If you had a team of 30 people and knew how to program, you wouldn't be asking these question on how to make a *cough* MMORPG.
Quote:Original post by PNT

This statement is going to hurt you, as people are going to feel that your request for assistance in the creation of "character files" (which you fail to describe adequately) is incompatible with your claim of programming experience, particularly in AI.

There's nothing wrong with being a beginner. There's nothing wrong with not knowing. There's nothing wrong with biting off more than you can chew. We've all been there and done that.

Start over. Explain what you want, explain what you can do, and take the comments - both the encouraging and discouraging - in good faith. Making an MMO is not a weekend project. Be patient, be humble, be hardworking and consistent, and you'll get it done.

Good luck.
okay let me start again this is another team member
alright
I program in C++ and as you know we want to create a MMORPG.
What we meant in creating character files was making files so that user's would be able to log in and use there 2d sprites and have there own Statistics.

The thing is we have never used networking before.
We just have no idea where to start.
Please could someone help us in anyway i would really appriciate it.

and should we use files or sql?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement