Copy security for Midlet's

Started by
2 comments, last by shmoove 18 years, 4 months ago
hi i'm writting a java application for cell phones for a company. i want to implement a machenism that you can not compy the java app to an other cell phone. is there a good method to implement that for java applications? thanks
------------------------<< deltasoft games >>Homepage: http://www.deltasoftgames.ch
Advertisement
If the user downloads the application OTA then it is installed straight away and most phones won't let you copy the application.
Some phone however will still let you copy it.

If the user downloads the application to their computer and then sends it to the phone then their is not much you can do to stop them copying it.

Most distrubtors seem to do OTA which solves the problem in most cases.

Greig
You could implement some kind of activation which only allows a given MIDlet (with unique serial number) to be activated once (i.e. on one device). Once it's activated, store something in RMS which indicates that it's activated.

The problem is that on some models of phone, the RMS can be copied with the game (with suitable software).

But I don't think it's a major problem. Phone games aren't very expensive and not particularly easy to copy anyway.

Mark
Unless it's an application that needs network connectivity (in which case you can cook up some server-based security) it's not worth the trouble IMO. Especially if you intend to support phones with open OS's (like Symbian or Windows Mobile). Just leave it to the phone's DRM mechanisms and keep your fingers crossed.

shmoove

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement