global variables with LoadByteCode

Started by
13 comments, last by Deyja 18 years, 2 months ago
It would be a good idea to include some sort of checksum features with the saved bytecode, otherwise those of us already famliar with angelscript's generated bytecode are going to hack it immediatly. :) In fact, if it doesn't have a dedicated server but instead has users host games, you could release the scripts plaintext, and just compare and MD5 of the script on the host with an MD5 of the script on the client. This will prevent casual cheating, but still enable modding. Deffinitly have the host do the checking; if the client does it, it will be fairly trvial to track down the if (md5(here) == md5(host)) check and replace it with if (true). Sure, it will still be trivial to find it in the host - and then the host can cheat, and so can anyone else connecting to that server; but honest players won't play on his server anyway.
Advertisement
I agree with Deyja.

You'll definitely need something more than just precompiled bytecode to prevent cheating. Computing and comparing the checksum or perhaps signing the files digitally will be necessary. This you could do just as well with the normal script files as well.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Could be, could be. Thanks for the tips! I was sort of hoping nobody would be able to understand the byte code, but seeing as you guys already plan on cheating, I might do something about it. :D

Right now the game doesn't have a website, but we're planning on releasing a first playable demo in the coming week or so. The location will be http://www.monkkonen.net/. It'll still be well over half a year till it's finished though.
[wink] Nah, I'm actually one of the good guys. I don't even cheat in single-player games.

I'm looking forward to giving the game a go. Please let me know when it's available so that I can put up a link to it.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

I don't think there is anyone who posts here who would actually hack it, but the point is that AS doesn't have a very big instruction set and wouldn't be difficult to figure out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement