3H-GDC m.V: Something Special (winner: BeanDog)

Started by
213 comments, last by capn_midnight 18 years, 2 months ago
I do seem to have those dll's, and I did put the exe with the .dat files. The error though isn't something I've seen before. It's something about the program's configuration being wrong and that "reinstalling it might help", or something to that effect (it's in swedish).
Advertisement
Wasn't that something that you have to distribute the runtime dlls via a manifest or something similar. Placing the dlls in the directory does not work anymore.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Quote:Original post by DrPetter
or something to that effect (it's in swedish).

Quote:Redistribution of the shared C runtime component in Visual C++ 2005 and in Visual C++ .NET
This article was previously published under Q326922

When you build an application in Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 or in Microsoft Visual Studio .NET , and the application uses the C run-time libraries (CRT), distribute the appropriate CRT DLL from the following list with your application and install the DLL in your Program Files directory:
• Msvcr80.dll for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005

Quote:MORE INFORMATION
The shared CRT DLL has been distributed by Microsoft in the past as a shared system component. This may cause problems when you run applications that are linked to a different version of the CRT on computers that do not have the correct versions of the CRT DLL installed. This is commonly referred to as the "DLL Conflict" problem.

To address this issue, the CRT DLL is no longer considered a system file, therefore, distribute the CRT DLL with any application that relies on it. Because it is no longer a system component, install it in your applications Program Files directory with other application-specific code. This prevents your application from using other versions of the CRT library that may be installed on the system paths.

Visual C++ 2005 or Visual C++ .NET installs the CRT DLL in the System32 directory on a development system. This is installed as a convenience for the developer. Otherwise, all projects that are built with Visual C++ 2005 or Visual C++ .NET that link with the shared CRT require a copy of the DLL in the build directory for debugging and execution.

When you distribute applications that require the Shared CRT library in the CRT DLL, we recommend that you use the VC_CRT.msm merge module that is included with Visual C++ 2005 or with Visual C++ .NET instead of directly distributing the DLL file.

Walkthrough alert!

Below is the (commented) walkthrough for Run!

// Chapter 1: the entry waypray to the starspray to the stars // you can now see the bottom of the pitjump into pit// Chapter 2: the Orion pumpgo northpray to the stars // you can now see the lever names. pull lever Betelgeuse // Orion Alphapull lever Rigel // Orion Betapull lever Bellatrix // Orion Gammapull lever Mintaka // Orion Deltapull lever Alnilam // Orion Epsilon// Chapter 3: the drained pitgo southpray to the stars // you can see a shiny objectpick up shiny object 
Quote:Original post by DrPetter
I do seem to have those dll's, and I did put the exe with the .dat files. The error though isn't something I've seen before. It's something about the program's configuration being wrong and that "reinstalling it might help", or something to that effect (it's in swedish).

I'm having the same problem. Minus the swedish.

[Edited by - scgrn on February 12, 2006 1:24:27 PM]
Quote:Original post by scgrn
What does your SDL_Init() look like?

It looks like I actually call SDL_InitSubSystem(SDL_INIT_JOYSTICK), and later, if I want sound, I call SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_AUDIO), afterwards. I guess order doesn't really matter.
Quote:Original post by matt_j
Quote:Original post by scgrn
What does your SDL_Init() look like?

It looks like I actually call SDL_InitSubSystem(SDL_INIT_JOYSTICK), and later, if I want sound, I call SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_AUDIO), afterwards. I guess order doesn't really matter.

I thought you were only supposed to call SDL_Init once, with all the flags you will ever want in your program or'ed together. I might be wrong, though; I've never tried it any other way.
It seems to work for me (I use SDL under Windows at the moment).
Here's a slightly enhanced (read some more gameplay) version of Stars:

Clicky

The original submitten version is playable but does not really offer any challenge for the player.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

capn_midnight that was an awesome competition. I didn't get enough done to qualify, but hey the entries that did come in are class!

Thanks for setting up the competiton, and thanks staff for supporting him. I do reckon it deserved to be front-page gamedev.net news on the actual competition day, may be more people would have entered then.

The console twist was inspirational, and I found out and learned stuff about the console I never would have bothered to find out had it not been for this competition. Ben's site and tutorials were really interesting to go through too! [grin]

I wonder if there could be a spin off 5 or 6 hour competition held over one weekend. 3 hours is a good length, because almost anyone can find 3 hours of the weekend. 5 or 6 might exclude some, but include others whom would never attempt to do a game in 3 hours because it seems so daunting.

Whatever happens, I look forward to the next competition and seeing what people come up with! [smile]
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement