Enumerating global property

Started by
4 comments, last by WitchLord 18 years, 1 month ago
Hello. I'm in the process to replace my console-code with angelscript. I use RegisterGlobalProperty() to expose some variables. Is there a way to let angelscript enumarate those variables at a later point? I was thinking GetGlobalVarName() would do the trick, but I suppose it only works for variables defined inside some script. I used to have a getVars() function, which listed all registered variables. It is nice and in a way auto-documenting to have something like that. Is there a way to let angelscript handle stuff like that for me? Thanks.
Advertisement
AngelScript currently doesn't let you enumerate properties, functions, etc, that have been registered by the application. I used to think that the application should know this already anyway, but situations (like yours) have made me think otherwise. I'll probably change this in a future version, but for now, you'll have to keep track of what you registered on your own (unless you feel like modifying AngelScript).

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This would indeed be a handy feature.

Sure the app should know it, but how else can you display the list of functions etc to a user without creating a separate list of them.
Allright, thanks for the answer.

EDIT:

I wonder, are there any plans to include implicit int -> bool conversion?
Could be nice.

[Edited by - B_old on March 21, 2006 11:45:16 AM]
I've already implemented my own system to do this, and here's a rough description of what I did.

I have my own class as a member of my main engine class for managing anything script related. I call this the "script manager." The script manager contains wrapper functions for many of the angelscript functions, mainly the RegisterX() functions. Any call to register an object/variable/function/event registers it through these proxy functions. These functions build a hierarchy of all registered items into a data structure. My tools then uses this hierarchy information to construct various ways to visualize the registered items.

As a side not, I'm of the opinion that using implicit conversion for boolean operations is bad coding style. Take the following line of code:

if (somevar)
{
}

At a glance, it could mean any of the following:

bool somevar;
if (somevar == true)
{
}

int somevar;
if (somevar != 0)
{
}

int somevar;
if (somevar > 0)
{
}

char somevar;
if (somevar != '\0')
{
}

sometype* somevar;
if (somevar != NULL)
{
}

Using explicit boolean expressions for comparisons leads to code that is easier to read and tends to be a lot less error prone, imo.
I do not have any current plans to allow implicit conversion to/from the boolean type.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement