Java is fast?

Started by
110 comments, last by rip-off 17 years, 12 months ago
Quote:Original post by Deception666
Could you please post the article link that discussed this JIT compilation?

http://java.sys-con.com/read/45250.htm?CFID=388847&CFTOKEN=9460D898-B6BB-AC8B-3C74121E272A4D92
Advertisement
For array operations Java is slower since it checks for a program accessing an array out of bounds while c++ doesn't check. I think in the future graphics code will still be written in c++ because it allows you to have the control you need to get the speed. But for everything else c++ is slower, personally I think that python is going to become more and more used in game development as a scripting language.

I have even heard of a model for designing programs where the entire thing is made in python then the functions that are really time critical are rewritten in c++. This allows you to get the fast development time with python but still get the speed you need with c++.
Quote:Original post by MasterQ
I read an article that said java is just as fast as C++ when it uses JIT compiling. It gave some tests and java actually outperformed C++.

You mean this garbage, that doesn't use any real world situations? Its common knowledge that C++ outperforms Java in real world situations. When you need speed use C++, when you need quick and dirty use Java.

Java isn't "slow", it's just slower than C++.

I've also noticed many video games like Runescape are being programmed in java.

Notice Runescape is free. It's significantly harder to make a commercial game in Java.

Will languages like java, C#, and VB.NET take over the game industry in the coming years?

Java: Never. Speed is Java's smallest problem as processors will someday be fast enough to where the difference in speed is minimal. Java is really easily reverse engineered.

C#: Doubt it. A proprietary language will never take over an entire industry so unless microsoft allows an open standard I don't see it happening.

VB: BASIC syntax makes a lot of people gag, that's why there's C#.

just as there is no longer a need to write programs in assembly or machine language.

ASM is still widely used for optimizations. a 10% speed boost means more people will be able to user your app without having to upgrade.

C++ is here to stay. I doubt anybody is willing to make a bet that if C++ is still not the major language for commerical applications in the next few years they'll put a bullet in their head.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Quote:Original post by Lazy Foo
C#: Doubt it. A proprietary language will never take over an entire industry so unless microsoft allows an open standard I don't see it happening.

You mean an open standard like this, supportedy an open framework like this ?
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style

Actually, C# is standardized, see here. And besides, since when has being an open standard had anything to do with success? Ever heard of DirectX?
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Ok an open standard that doesn't suck.

and by doesn't suck, I mean something where I can easily take a language's code and use it where ever I want.

Quote:Original post by joanusdmentia
Ever heard of DirectX?

I've heard of marketing run amok.

DirectX depends on Window's success meaning if windows gets kicked off its current throne DirectX goes down with it. Where as non-proprietary technology like C++ can survive considering it doesn't depend on a company's success.

Ok an open standard that doesn't suck.

and by doesn't suck, I mean something where I can easily take a language's code and use it where ever I want.

You mean like, on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows, and Unix ?

A nice prop of .NET over C++ is that you don't even have to care about the hardware at all !

I assure you that writing cross-platform games in C# is as easy as it gets. (Much easier than in C++ as it turns out in my experience, since you aren't as tied to the hardware as you are in C++.)
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Quote:Original post by jfclavette

Mono is in it's infancy, and needs much more support.

Mono is in it's infancy, and needs much more support.

Says who ? Works pretty damn well for me. Especially for games, which are probably the simplest form of software from an infrastructure perspective (Multiplayer non-withstanding)
Says who ? Works pretty damn well for me.

Says the industry. You can switch tools whenever you want, but companies can't afford to gamble.

DirectX, Java, you-name-it wheren't adopted overnight. A technology has to prove itself first.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement