Embedding Python/LUA

Started by
27 comments, last by John Schultz 18 years ago
If you really have your heart set on LUA/Python and free forms of data are not helping, I would try "Game Scripting Mastery". Its a *very* good book on scripting extensions and embedding. It will deviate about half way through where you design your own system, both IL and HL - but the first part of it has about the best demonstration for extending/embedding for TCL, Python, and LUA.

You should be able to get a used copy for a reasonable price.

I hope that helps.
"C and C++ programmers seem to think that the shortest distance between two points is the great circle route on a spherical distortion of Euclidean space."Stephen Dewhurst
Advertisement
Thanks everyone for your help.

Barakus,

I tried that tutorial, doesnt seem to work with LUA 5

Benstr,

Thanks for the links! Programming in LUA seems good, but complex. LUAPlus doesnt provide enough information on embedding it, so i think I'll give it a miss.

Programmer16,

Yes, I think the problem is that LUA no longer supports those functions, so thanks for the new code. But I think you've used variables instead of actual arguments. What do these variables represent, do you recon you could walk me through it?

John Schultz,

Thanks, but I'm not using VC++, I'm using Code::Blocks (with Dev-cpp's compiler). I did look at squirrel beforehand, but decided against it (but Ive forgotten why, so Im looking at it again. SqPlus looks good too (just found out that you made it) Ill look into that.

Xiuhcoatl,

That would sort of be a last resort. Im in the middle of SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days, and am waiting for Code Complete, so Im kind of short on book reading time. Im positive that I can get something to work, but such a purchase may be nessessary in the near future. Thanks for the pointer!
Quote:Original post by Silvo
Thanks, but I'm not using VC++, I'm using Code::Blocks (with Dev-cpp's compiler). I did look at squirrel beforehand, but decided against it (but Ive forgotten why, so Im looking at it again. SqPlus looks good too (just found out that you made it) Ill look into that.

It looks like Dev-cpp can use gcc; Squrriel with SqPlus should work OK (tested).
Programmer16,

Yes, I think the problem is that LUA no longer supports those functions, so thanks for the new code. But I think you've used variables instead of actual arguments. What do these variables represent, do you recon you could walk me through it?

lua_register(g_pState, FunctionName, FunctionPointer);// Exampleint sfSpeak(lua_State* pState){    // This returns the number of arguments that the user supplied.    lua_gettop(pState);    std::cout<<lua_tostring(pState, 1)<<": "<<lua_tostring(pState, 2)<<std::endl;    return 0;}lua_register(g_pState, "UserSpeak", sfSpeak);// The FunctionName argument is the function name that will be used// inside of the script./*Talking.lua-----------UserSpeak("Donny", "This is a user speaking.");UserSpeak("Silvo", "This is another user speaking.");*/// lua_dofile just a pointer to your virtual machine and a script filename.

I just started learning myself, so some of what I may be doing is wrong. For instance, in sfSpeak you should check to make sure that lua_gettop() returns 2 (meaning that the function was called with 2 strings.)

HTH!

Edit: Check out the tutorials at tonyandpaige.com. They're the ones that I used to get started (they use the old version, but other than the luaL_XXX functions that were in my first snippet, everything else seems to be the same.

Heres a link: TonyAndPaige.com
Programmer16,

I wish I understood what it all means... I used the tutorial you linked to, replacing your function names with theirs, but im getting some linker errors.

"
mian.cpp:13: error: `luaL_newstate' undeclared (first use this function)
mian.cpp:13: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
mian.cpp:17: error: `luaL_dofile' undeclared (first use this function)
"

yes, i spelt 'main' wrong... oh well. Also, it cant find luaxlib.h, but it's there

John,

Can you direct me to a hello world tutorial for squirrel and SqPlus?
Can you direct me to a hello world tutorial for squirrel and SqPlus?

Download and unzip the SqSplus .zip.

1. Go to the top level directory to where you unzipped the files and type: make sq32 (or examine the Makefiles and recreate in your IDE).
2. Go to the minimalSqPlus directory and type: make
3. type: ./minimalSqPlus to run.
4. See minimalSqPlus.cpp for more info.
5. See testSqPlus2/testSqPlus2.cpp for examples of just about everything you might need for binding. See the Squirrel forum for more info (other gcc/non-VC users are helpful).

Squirrel Docs
Squirrel Forum
Thanks for the assisstance.

Just to let you know, im using Windoze, so the make stuff and ./blah dont work. I tried looking at the Makefiles (not sure what these do), and saw some stuff under sq32, so I added them as link libraries. The problem is that these dont exist, so after removing them from the list, it cant find any of the functions (copied the source from minimalSqPlus.cpp). Im assumming i need some libraries, but i cant see them. (looked in the lib folder).
Quote:Original post by Programmer16
If you're using a newer version of LUA then some of the names have changed and thus old tutorials are kind of rendered moot.

Here's an example I whipped up using the newest version:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Everything else is the say as in old the old tutorials (at least as far as I have seen.)

HTH!

Is that using C++ or C? On my Mac I can get Lua to work fine with a C app compiled with gcc, but when I use a C++ app compiled with g++ I get an error that lua_dofile is undeclared. I'm using extern "C" {} for the lua headers and I'm positive I'm linking to the libraries properly (again, I can get it to work using straight C). Any ideas how to get it to work in C++? Here's my full code:
#include <stdio.h>#include <stdlib.h>extern "C" {#include <lua.h>#include <lualib.h>}lua_State *L;int main(int argc, char * const argv[]){   L = lua_open();   luaopen_base(L);   lua_dofile(L, "SimAI.lua");   lua_close(L);   return 0;}
Figured out the problem. I do need to include <luaxlib.h> but when it installed it, it created it as lauxlib (the u and a are backwards). After renaming that and using luaL_loadfile() it works just fine.
Thanks for the assisstance.

Just to let you know, im using Windoze, so the make stuff and ./blah dont work. I tried looking at the Makefiles (not sure what these do), and saw some stuff under sq32, so I added them as link libraries. The problem is that these dont exist, so after removing them from the list, it cant find any of the functions (copied the source from minimalSqPlus.cpp). Im assumming i need some libraries, but i cant see them. (looked in the lib folder).

Silvo, is there some reason you can't use the free version of Visual Studio 2005 (C++ Express)?

It sounds like the trouble you are having with embedding a scripting language is due to the compiler/IDE/environment you are using as opposed to the scripting language and binding tools.

If you download the free VS2005 for C++, you will be able to open the Squirrel/SqPlus solution (.sln file) and immediately compile, link and run with no problems. If you need to use some other IDE/compiler, you can study the VS2005 solution items and recreate the build/make files from scratch.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement