Consoles or PC?

Started by
20 comments, last by JBourrie 18 years ago
Hello there! I've been gone for a while, but now I'm back [smile]! Some people told me that the real game industry is running on consoles and that the PCs only hold about 10-20 pecent of the market. They said that although the PCs are far more advanced (allowing for better games), some factors (like piracy) realy restrain a small company to flurish. What do you think about this? If somebody would make a nice game, do you think he/she should port it to consoles? Is console programming actualy possible for, let's say, an indie company? I mean I don't think all the licenses and the devtools required to make up something are quite cheap... I'm kind of new to the console stuff, so please excuse me if this was a bad post [lol].
Advertisement
Legal console programming is almost impossible for a beginner. This is just because consoles companies won't publish titles from unknown individuals. Also you may require to spend a good ammount of money in order to buy the dev kits (about $10k each).

But in fact there is an alternative. Torque game engine may allow you to write a PC game and as its portable you may port it to a console easilly in case a console publisher is interested. Maybe you can find some info about this in the GarageGames website.

Luck!
Guimo

PC's are cool: they're more versatile then consoles and they're more cutting-edge. Just remember that PC users almost always had the chance to play online games, while console users only just have.
Programming for pc has also had the tendency to be alot easier over history. (PSX assembler, remember :) )
Conclusion: Overal, the PC IS JUST BETTER then any console.
It's important to keep in mind that "indie" can mean different things. It can mean a group of people without direct backing from a major publisher who are producing a game for the retail market, and who are spending significant amounts of money on production; or it can mean a few college kids who are learning how to make games. For the first group, console development is still difficult, but is becoming more and more feasible. Also, indie developers have been known to release a game for PC, get publisher backing based on the game's success there, then port it to a console. (This was the case with Alien Hominid, if I recall correctly.) The second group probably is not going to do console development.
That's an awefully totalitarian statement, GodModder, especially for a 'controversial' topic like the console vs. pc debate.

And, no, PCs aren't cutting edge. I know one person who has a computer that is better than a 360. Alot of people I know have computers not too much worse, but they definately aren't any more 'cutting edge' than a 360. Sure, it 3 years, people will have better PCs than the consoles out then, but that statement simply isn't always true.
The technology in the 360 has been around for years and was developed by... PC's! The only reason why not everyone has that technology in their PC's is the price. You cannot possibly say consoles are more advanced then PC's, looking at there age policy...
PC's started gaming and still do. Think about it: programmers learn to program on PC's, PC's still have a large share in the market and some games still come out exclusively on PC which proves developers are still aware of the true power that the PC harnasses.
Quote:Original post by godmodder
The technology in the 360 has been around for years and was developed by... PC's! The only reason why not everyone has that technology in their PC's is the price. You cannot possibly say consoles are more advanced then PC's, looking at there age policy...

Er, have you even looked at the specs for the 360? The CPU architecture is of a design which is not available in any PC, and which is on the cutting-edge of CPU design.
Even cutting-edge has been designed on a pc almost 2 years ago
The technology in the 360 has been around for years

For years, eh? I'd like you to point me to where I can buy the same graphics card then. I'm particularly curious about how I'd have bought one years ago. Or a triple-core CPU? Does your 2-3 year old computer have that?

Quote:
and was developed by... PC's!

Err, by PC's?
I thought it was developed by Microsoft, IBM and ATI?

I'm pretty sure my pc has never designed any consoles.

Quote:
The only reason why not everyone has that technology in their PC's is the price. You cannot possibly say consoles are more advanced then PC's, looking at there age policy...

Sure you can. If you look at an "average" PC, the 360 is years ahead.

Think about it: programmers learn to program on PC's
[/quote}
So what?

Quote:
PC's still have a large share in the market and some games still come out exclusively on PC which proves developers are still aware of the true power that the PC harnasses.

But consoles have a larger share, and more games come out exclusively on consoles, which proves, what, exactly?

Quote:
PC's started gaming and still do. Think about it: programmers learn to program on PC's

So what you're saying is that the books we learnt to read from are also better than the books we read later on?
And the tricycle I had when I was 4 "harnesses more true power" than, say, a car?

I think there's a flaw in your logic.
Just because programmers *started* on a PC, doesn't make the PC particularly superior in itself.

In any case, PC games aren't going away any time soon. It's a much more versatile platform than consoles, and if you've got the money to upgrade it, it can usually be made more powerful than any console.
But that doesn't change the fact that consoles are more popular for gaming than PC's, and that most games are made for consoles.
Even cutting-edge has been designed on a pc almost 2 years ago

Heh, you mean because there aren't any VLSI-CAD programs for the XBox? That's a rather..... unique way of looking at it. It also has absolutely nothing to do with the relative merits of console versus PC development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement