Best mobile for game development

Started by
20 comments, last by nishzone 17 years, 9 months ago
hi, Hope you guys can help me out... I have to choose a phone pretty quickly for my project... I'm thinking of working with 3D (most likely to be jsr184) and bluetooth I've always preferred Nokia compared to Sony Ericsson. BUT, for project, i have a feeling that SE might be better. Well, I don't know. One problem is that i cannot even test some of the phones because they don't even have it in my country. Really need ur help and views! :( Thanks, Nishzone
Advertisement
Well, get the best phone that you can find in your country and afford.
Quote:i cannot even test some of the phones because they don't even have it in my country.
There really is no 'best' device to use.

Use whatever phone you have available, and whatever dev tools you can legally obtain.

If your only two requirements are M3G and Bluetooth, then just pick any of the many devices that support them.

If you have a lot of money available, get several different phones.

If your heart isn't set on M3G or if you are more comfortable with Windows development, you might also consider using Direct3D Mobile capable devices. Most of these have bluetooth, wifi, and other communications hardware available.

Quote:I have to choose a phone pretty quickly for my project...
"Pretty quickly" might be a problem. Neither M3G nor Bluetooth are quick to build with nor especially easy to use. Of course, that holds true for all 3D and network programming.

Good luck on your project.
Hi nishzone,

Like the others say, there are dozens of phones that meet your requirements, but two phones that I'm using at the moment that support JSR184 and bluetooth are the Nokia 6630 and the Sony Ericsson S700.

I find the Sony Ericsson to be a little more forgiving than the Nokia, but its probably just personal preference. Also, the 6630 has quite a performance advantage over the S700. I'm not sure about the availability of those phones where you are, but try checking out:

http://www.j2mepolish.org/devices/devices-vendor.html

which has a huge list of phones as well as lots of information about each one such as jar size limits, heap sizes, screen/canvas size and supported API's.

Also check out:

http://www.jbenchmark.com/index.jsp

for performances of phones. you can also find out whether they support 3D on here as well.

Hope that helps
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
Well, get the best phone that you can find in your country and afford.

I have a cousin coming back from Dubai in about 15 days. That's where i'm getting the phone from.
Quote:Original post by frob
If your only two requirements are M3G and Bluetooth, then just pick any of the many devices that support them.

I know that officially there are a couple of devices that will fit my requirements but because the mobile is likely to be expensive, I want to make sure that i won't have any negative surprise.

I can't afford to make a mistake. A lot of people have bought mobiles that didn't meet expections. Getting feedback from people is one of the ways to prevent that.

Additionally, in terms of gaming, there might be phone limitations that I do not know about since it is my first game. Might learn things from other people's experiences. Will matter a lot if I learn it after I buy a phone though :(

Quote:If your heart isn't set on M3G or if you are more comfortable with Windows development, you might also consider using Direct3D Mobile capable devices. Most of these have bluetooth, wifi, and other communications hardware available.

My heart isn't set on M3G but I got an game example that used it and the graphics looked awesome. I didn't know that you can create 3d games with visual studio. Is .net 2003 good enough or is 2005 required?

Quote:"Pretty quickly" might be a problem. Neither M3G nor Bluetooth are quick to build with nor especially easy to use. Of course, that holds true for all 3D and network programming.

I have a few days to choose the phone but about 1 year for the game.

[Edited by - nishzone on July 13, 2006 11:04:31 AM]
Quote:Original post by Multiverse
I find the Sony Ericsson to be a little more forgiving than the Nokia, but its probably just personal preference. Also, the 6630 has quite a performance advantage over the S700.

In what sense, is SE more forgiving? hmmm...I've only checked out the specs of 6630. If both phone are in the same range, it surprises me that nokia performs better. From SE's development site, there seems to be a lot work going into 3D.

Quote:http://www.j2mepolish.org/devices/devices-vendor.html

http://www.jbenchmark.com/index.jsp

Thanks for links...Will check them out :)
SonyEricsson Handsets, all of them (Starting from the K750; K700/S700/K500 are good, but still somewhat buggy).

If you want to do really fancy 3D, get the W900, because it has Hardware Acceleration (no joke!).

SonyEricsson phones are excellent to work with, and most can even switch to various resolutions so you can run some preliminary tests as to what your game would look like on smaller displays without switching the handset.

SE is not only more forgiving, but they also implement the Nokia UI api (sometimes better than Nokia itself), meaning you can develop Nokia compatible apps on your handsets, too. Sound is quite good, as well.
Quote:Original post by nishzone
Quote:Original post by Multiverse
I find the Sony Ericsson to be a little more forgiving than the Nokia, but its probably just personal preference. Also, the 6630 has quite a performance advantage over the S700.

In what sense, is SE more forgiving? hmmm...I've only checked out the specs of 6630. If both phone are in the same range, it surprises me that nokia performs better. From SE's development site, there seems to be a lot work going into 3D.

The SE seems to behave more like you would expect, whereas the 6630 has a few little quirks where things dont *quite* work how you expect. Also, I've had a couple of bugs that the SE seemed to be able to handle/ignore, whereas the 6630 would just crash/hang.

There are two sides to the coin on this one though. The SE may allow you to be a little 'lazy' in terms of implementing some features, and small bugs may go unnoticed. So it may not teach/encourage best practices. But on the 6630, you would have to do everything 'properly' otherwise it won't work. In the long run, the 6630 would be a better learning tool.

I'd just like to point out that compared to a lot of people on here, I don't have that much experience with mobile phone games, so don't take what I say above as gospel.

One extra thing that the SE (there are quite a few other SE phones as well) has going for it is that it also supports Mascot as well as JSR 184, so if you want to do 3D, you could check out both Mascot and JSR 184 and see which one you prefer.
After some research, I ended up with 2 mobiles (w900i and N80). Focussed on both project and personal preference.

Unfortunately, the prices i got from my cousin are over my budget :(

I'm probably going to get the N70...What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
nishzone

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement