Don't let them crack your game!!

Started by
68 comments, last by hplus0603 17 years, 8 months ago
The new MacTel's have a kind of hardware DMR built into the motherboard. I know that was cracked and bypassed almost immediately, since I can download a modified version of MacOS X and run it on my Anthlon X2 (since it has SSE2 and SSE3 instructions). Heck, they even hacked an SSE3 emulator for procs that just know how to do SSE2. So even hardware solutions aren't crackproof.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

Advertisement
You can not stop crackers (note crackers not hackers) who sit at a computer just trying to bypass any sercuity you come up with. Lets look at one of the most widely spread programmes (so to speak) WINDOWS. How much time and money do you think they have invested in trying to make it safe from piracy?
Windows activation: cracked.
WGA: cracked.
Passwords: cracked.

off topic (a bit)
Another thing is no cd fixes are not illegal if you own the orignal disc, so how can you protect the exe? On a similar line, you are allow to legally copy any disc which you own for backup purposes, yet why do some games come with new copy protection?

Could someone comment on these last two?
Quote:Original post by leoptimus
suppose this scenario:

- You've developed an online game that requires a subscription fee for playing (like most of the MMORPG titles), so players cannot play your game unless they have paid you the subscription fee. (simple isn´t it?)

- But then some hackers-crackers modify the original executable so it allow them play for free, and doing very bad things (Cheating players, Steal items etc.)

How to stop them?(technologically, without using the goverment law defense against piracy)

Which methods are there for verify the authenticity of the game executable file from game server?

As others said, you cannot guarantee the client is not compromised. But at the time, cracked copies don't appear in the market after a while (be it a few weeks). If you can have a patch system and an upgrade path that forces users to patch their system in a regular interval and said interval is faster than hackers can crack any one version and put them on the web, then whatever hacked copy there is will always be at least one version obsolete.

And while you are at it, if you distribute the client application online then nothing prevents you from encoding each copy with a unique serial number. Each game client becomes unique and it's easier to track down who are the sources for the cracked copies and treat those accounts appropriately.
Never trust your client, and what your client sends. Never send the client extra info or too much info, only what is required.

Always have a login and password required to play on the server.

That is all you can do. anything else is a waste of time, unless you have lots of resources and just want to do it for fun, but no matter what you do, hacks will appear online.

Plus to mention all methods of DRM or Anti-Piracy have all been hacked.
as long as computers are binary, well even if they werent binary, it would still be hacked. even windows vista will be hacked. hack hack hack! HACK THE PLANET!
Black Sky A Star Control 2/Elite like game
"Another thing is no cd fixes are not illegal if you own the orignal disc, so how can you protect the exe?"

No-CD fixes are in no way legal - pretty much all commercial software will have a clause in the license agreement saying that you are not allowed to modify the code/compiled executable in any way. IIRC, a 3rd party released a fix for the shelf (CD) version of HL2 when it first came out and Valve blocked anyone who used it, requiring them to purchase another license.

T
Quote:Original post by Tessellator
"Another thing is no cd fixes are not illegal if you own the orignal disc, so how can you protect the exe?"

No-CD fixes are in no way legal - pretty much all commercial software will have a clause in the license agreement saying that you are not allowed to modify the code/compiled executable in any way. IIRC, a 3rd party released a fix for the shelf (CD) version of HL2 when it first came out and Valve blocked anyone who used it, requiring them to purchase another license.

T

I totally disagree with this and I will look for evidence that its not illegal.

As I said( as AP) you are legally allowed to create a backup, yet the backup will not play because it needs the orignal disc. This is the reason for which they are legal.

Quote:...version of HL2 when it first came out and Valve blocked anyone who used it, requiring them to purchase another license.

Lol were as other people just illegally downloaded copies from steam lmfao.
A moment of sanity:

There are many different countries, provinces, states, regions, and cities in the world. Most of these have their own sets of laws and their own legal procedures.

If you wish to determine whether a particular action is or is not legal in your area (for example, making a personal backup of software you own), consult a lawyer/solicitor who is licensed to practice law in your city/state/province/country, as applicable. Don't trust that a web site or a book or magazine or even an anonymous poster on gamedev.net knows what is and isn't legal in your region.

Protect yourself. Ask a licensed, practicing lawyer.

And now, back to the on-topic discussion. :)
The first step to fight cheaters/hackers is to recognize that there is no way to prevent from hacking/cheating.

There is this simple formula:

CH = T x R
or
Cheating/Hacking = <time to hack> x <resources to hack>

The only suceesfull cheat/hack prevention is to make it very very "costly" for a hacker by raising T and R.

Quote:The only suceesfull cheat/hack prevention is to make it very very "costly" for a hacker by raising T and R.

Or make all decisions server-side, such that hacked clients just don't matter.

Or make a crappy game that nobody cares about hacking.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
"Or make a crappy game that nobody cares about hacking."
Thats why i always ask myself why all the hobby-i-want-make-mmorpg care about cheat-prevention. They don't need ;)

"Or make all decisions server-side, such that hacked clients just don't matter."
This way you could prevent from hacking but cheating can still happen.
There is NO way to prevent cheating !
Even if all decsisions happen on the server, which i doubt (just think about collision detection), "bots" will come in place.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement