is there any detailed mathematical explanation for the GIMBAL LOCK

Started by
20 comments, last by KulSeran 17 years, 9 months ago
it is not easy to understand it by using a gyro. i found it seems like doing nothing with the camera in the 3d computer graphic . so i am look for some mathematical explanation for the GIMBAL LOCK
Advertisement
google it ! and with it also look for "quaternions rotations" while you 're at it
there are some really great articles

if you still need help , post again !!
yeah
google is great
but can you give me some relative keywords.
i've try many keywords, but just puzzle me more.
Quote:Original post by atultuff
google it ! and with it also look for "quaternions rotations" while you 're at it
there are some really great articles
Be aware that a good portion of the information about quaternions available online is at best misleading and at worst simply incorrect, so take what you read with a grain of salt.

In short, gimbal lock can occur with Euler angle rotations, specifically when constructing an orientation from three sequential rotations about the global axes. If the second of these rotations happens to be 90 degrees, the first and third rotations will appear to take place about the same axis.

If you wish to avoid gimbal lock, make the orientation persistent rather than creating it from scratch each time, and update it incrementally. For the record, whether you use matrices or quaternions is completely incidental; the properties of the two are exactly the same with respect to the gimbal lock problem.
Quote:Original post by jyk

If you wish to avoid gimbal lock, make the orientation persistent rather than creating it from scratch each time, and update it incrementally. For the record, whether you use matrices or quaternions is completely incidental; the properties of the two are exactly the same with respect to the gimbal lock problem.

you mean the quaternions also has the gimbal lock problem??

If you use quaternions incorrectly, you can still have gimbal lock. For example, if you replace euler angles by three quaternions that are still representative of yaw, pitch and roll, you'll still have gimbal lock.
Quote:If the second of these rotations happens to be 90 degrees, the first and third rotations will appear to take place about the same axis.

does the gimbal lock only happen in the above case?
that seems like working on the rotation matrices,but it's not easy to imagine on a coordinate system.If i rotate a vector(0,1,0) around axes y,is that a gimbal lock??
what do you mean by "the first and third rotations will appear to take place about the same axis", and which axes will be???
how does the gimbal lock affect a 3d graphic program??
as it happens , what dose it look like in a practical example(such as a 3d demo)???
Take 3 sticks and tie them together to form a set of 3D axes. Now, manipulate it. Rotate it about each axis (maybe add a piece of paper with the axis name on each) and take note of where each rotation takes place in space.
Quote:Original post by Mastaba
Take 3 sticks and tie them together to form a set of 3D axes. Now, manipulate it. Rotate it about each axis (maybe add a piece of paper with the axis name on each) and take note of where each rotation takes place in space.

each rotation is ok , nothing like gimbal lock happen
Quote:Original post by feverzsj
Quote:Original post by Mastaba

each rotation is ok , nothing like gimbal lock happen
Remember, each rotation is about the original unrotated global axis. This can be a little hard to visualize with the method proposed above.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement