Doom3 engine in a week?

Started by
56 comments, last by LaBasX2 23 years ago
It depends on whether you are ahead of the rest. For example, when Carmack made the original Doom, he didn''t have a tutorial on making 3D shooters, because they didn''t exist! He was actually inventing, rather than copying and modifying. That is what makes the best programmers, people who make things that are not in any tutorials anywhere. I''m in the same situation as many others are here - I read tutorials, and use other peoples ideas to make my own. Rarely (if ever) do I come up with something totally original and new. That is why it is easy to write a quake style engine - because it''s already been done.
Simon PriceSi@VBgames.co.ukwww.VBgames.co.uk
Advertisement
I think one of the biggest features of his new engine are the vertex/pixel shaders. I don't know too much about those, but I doubt it's "just a few lines of code". If you can pull off a "Doom 3" engine in a few weeks though, post a demo, I'd love to see it

Edited by - twigllet on March 1, 2001 2:31:17 PM
Labas2X, what is the URL of your Homepage?????
Back your words.

There are often people saying that it''s easy to build something, but when they back theyre words then you get to see crap and unoptimized stuff.

I recall a guy who had made an own interpretation of Quake Rally, he bragged about his version, that he had coded it in a week and that it was the best. When you played it you could see why it took only a week.

If you really are that fast and good then i''d like to see it, it would be a nice addition to the community.
Might be what I''ve written sounds a bit arrogant, but I didn''t want to show what a damn good programmer I am. I just wanted to say that if an average programmer like me makes an engine in some weeks, a real professional could be even faster. Hope that''s clear now.

@Promiscuous Robot: I didn''t say I''ve build a quake3 engine in
one week; it took me a month (but I only worked sometimes at the engine) and of course the engine isn''t complete. But I was completely new to C++, BSP-trees and curved surfaces, so I think that a more experienced programmer could be much faster.

If you have to invent all the algorithms, it will of course take more time, that''s right. But someone who writes an engine today doesn''t have to do much research. There are so many good tutorials and techniques (Ocllusion Culling, BSP, Octree, ...) that you can use.

@twigllet: The GeForce-cards support perxpixel-shading and all the other techniques by hardware; you just have to activate them.

@Phantom Lord: I don''t have a homepage; and I''m really not very good. But when I said that my shadows and light-effects are all
working in realtime, I didn''t lie. I will try to post a screenshot of the "doom3"-engine. Getting the shadows work correctly needed some research (yes, research, because there aren''t many tutorials) but if someone is interested in how I''m doing it I will try to help.

Thanks for all your comments
Ok, here is a screenshot:

screenshot

You can see the shadows; they are all realtime and the lights are moving. It doesn't look too impressive, but it is just to test the shadows/lights.

Edited by - LaBasX2 on March 1, 2001 4:06:22 PM

Edited by - LaBasX2 on March 1, 2001 6:32:03 PM
LaBasX2.. Firstly, the shadows thing is looking pretty good so far.

Okay, now to the actual message.. hehehe

I have also made a quake3 bsp level viewer and I am building a full game engine around it (network capable in final version ). It should be a lot like Oni when it's finished. ( I think that's how you spell the game Oni, sorry if it's not )
My engine loads the data straight from a zip file, loads the map and all textures needed within it.
So far I have collision detection implemented and some basic physics.
In the maps, EVERYTHING (the map itself, shaders, prefabs, curved surfaces, moving flags, water, lava, slime, e.t.c ) is loaded, but I can't get the damn sky working.

I was wondering if you might be able to offer any advise with how to get them working.

Oh, and I'd like to maybe see a pic or two of your engine, just for a friendly-comparison..

Thanx for any help you can give me, and I eagerly await a pic or two..

~Cobra~

Edited by - Cobra on March 1, 2001 4:50:00 PM

Edited by - Cobra on March 1, 2001 5:49:50 PM
"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will have warmth for the rest of his life"
Screenshot is dead. Fix it heh
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
To use the GeForce3 pixel and vertex shaders it takes a LOT more than just "activating" them. They are an extremely powerfull tool and are quite complicated.

Take a look at NVIDIA''s NV_vertex_program extension (get it from their site), its ~75 pages long.

Jason A.

---
I write code.
DelphiGL (http://delphigl.cfxweb.net)
---I write code.DelphiGL (http://delphigl.cfxweb.net)
The screenshot looks really cool, but how about "soft" realtime shadows, like in doom3 (not truly softshadows, but with kind''a blured edges)

newbie2001
Yes, the screen shot looks good. With powerfull hardware and OpenGL is things getting _much_ easier than before. It will still take some skill and time to do something great. Cutting edge stuff like doom3 is something different that is of course _extremly_ hard and time consuming.

My guess is that a group of decent programmers could do something great in something like a year.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement