Genetically engineering a permanent kitten

Started by
33 comments, last by Way Walker 17 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Quote:Original post by frob
Here's a somewhat related story: US company offers hypo-allergenic cats

How much for a hyper-allergenic cat?

Several of my relatives have cat allergies, and it might help keep them away.

The cats cost some 4,000 US dollars and can be ordered over the Internet for delivery in early 2007.

erm...
Quote:

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Advertisement
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't half the beauty of kittens in their innocent, inquisitive and playful nature, combined with their looks. An emotional trait that is replaced by gentle loyalty (sometimes just laziness) as it matures. It doesn't matter what it looks like, it'll still grow up.
Quote:Original post by tstrimp
Quote:Original post by Michalson
Intentionally inflicting that kind of condition on animals for the infantile pleasure of some people who don't want their cat to grow up is sick. It would be like saying cats with no arms and legs look like cute furballs, so lets go cut up some cats to make them.
A lot of pure breed dogs are more disposed to genetic problems due to inbreeding. Should people be allowed to breed thouroughbred dogs then since it increases the risk of health problems? Aren't these just two different degrees of genetic manipulation?
Of course, some dogs that are not perfectly purebred (even if only for one generation) are more at risk for genetic health problems.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote:Original post by Sander
Quote:Original post by frob
Here's a somewhat related story: US company offers hypo-allergenic cats

Several of my relatives have cat allergies, and it might help keep them away.

The cats cost some 4,000 US dollars and can be ordered over the Internet for delivery in early 2007.

erm...
Quote:

I see. As someone that is allergic to cats, I would say that such a cat could likely be found at the SPCA for free (well, once the spaying was paid for). Just pick a cat with long hair.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Wouldn't be cool if, one day, we could design some chromosomes and DNA data on consumer software on home PC's, and then "print out" the creature you designed with a home-market targeted DNA printer (with fastened foetus growth process of course)
Quote:Original post by Lode
Wouldn't be cool if, one day, we could design some chromosomes and DNA data on consumer software on home PC's, and then "print out" the creature you designed with a home-market targeted DNA printer (with fastened foetus growth process of course)

they already did that, haven't you seen the Aerosmith video, pretty old one. the nerd prints out a chick and stuff. ;)

My family has a cat named Zeke who was hit by a falling speaker system while playing when he was a kitten. This accident damaged his brain causing partial blindness, and a deficiency in growth hormone. As a result Zeke looks just like a kitten while his twin brother is a full grown cat, looking at them together the difference is staggering.

As an owner of a "perma-kitten" I can safely say that for a cat to get the most enjoyment out of life it has to grow up.
Quote:Original post by googlyeyes
My family has a cat named Zeke who was hit by a falling speaker system while playing when he was a kitten. This accident damaged his brain causing partial blindness, and a deficiency in growth hormone. As a result Zeke looks just like a kitten while his twin brother is a full grown cat, looking at them together the difference is staggering.

That's probably the saddest story I've heard in years. Poor kitty.
This is the same kind of thing as was "Bonsaikitten". :)

Hoax. Funny, tho'.
I still want my genetically modified blob monster as a pet. Or a pegasus.

Quote:Original post by owl
I would prefer to modify their ADN to make them be "inside-out". That way they would look actually cute...

I once had a summer job scanning in photos for a database of every possible human genetic defect. I can tell you that, at least for humans, there is a gene defect that can make babies be born "inside-out". The end result is... not cute. Not cute at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement