Solving the Gridlock Game

Started by
22 comments, last by IADaveMark 12 years, 4 months ago
Not having read the entire thread, this seems awfully similar to the 15 puzzle (sliding number puzzle). That can be solved with a search algorithm with the heuristic being the manhattan distance that each block needs to move to its appropriate spot. In this case, if I understand correctly, we only have one block that we are concerned with getting to a goal state. Therefore, the heuristic is how many moves it would take to get to the goal if there were no other obstacles.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Advertisement
Coincidentally just read about this problem recently in the book "Evolved to Win" http://www.moshesipper.com/etw/.
Apparently its quite a hard puzzle to solve. The book gives the most recent best efforts based on genetic programming.
Chapter 10 is pertinant
This is an ancient thread.
Though I'm not surprised its a lot harder to come up with a good heuristic for this puzzle then the 15slide puzzle.
Since the efficiency of the search depend _a_lot_ on the heuristic.
You want one with a good resolution so as few states as possible have the same heuristic.
If you only check the distance of the blue piece, you will have very many states that have the same heuristic.
This will reduce the A* search to resemble a simple brute force breadth first search.

This is an ancient thread.

Holy hell... you aren't kidding. I may need to smite someone for necro'ing this thing.

angry.png

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement