Original Post
I know the solution is incredibly simple, but I'm frustrated with the problem and taking a number of breaks from it has produced no result. I apologize if this is a common question, but after a few searches I didn't find anything related. In short, I am designing a game that uses 'realistic' Newtonian physics on the planetary scale, but I cannot figure out a simple equation that will yield the initial velocity needed to produce a desired elliptical orbit about a given mass with a given semi-major axis. Though this much is not a necessity, it would be nice to have the function assume that the current position of the orbiting mass is the (and forgive me for forgetting the proper term) "closest point to the central mass" on the ellipse. Again that's not necessary, but useful. Edit: It is very important to note (and I can't believe I forgot this!) that the game is 2 dimensional! I have never studied anything beyond exceptionally simplified, rudimentary physics (and hated every moment of such blatant oversimplification of useful and eventually necessary information), and my research into the field, while productive in other ways, has left me baffled as to how to solve this. Just for anyone reading this to understand what I understand, I'm aware of the equations required for simplified gravitational effect. Newtons second law of F=ma and Attraction = (G*m1*m2)/r^2. I've already applied these, I'm just too annoyed with other issues to get my mind focused enough to write a function that will determine the aforementioned velocity for the aforementioned orbit. Thank you, reader, for taking the time to read this. And thank you again for anyone who responds.
_apoapsis(blue)_velocity.gif)