SOIL: new lightweight image loading lib

Started by
129 comments, last by GenPFault 13 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by syndicatedragon
If anyone is interested, I've packaged the SOIL library as a MacOSX framework. Looking forward to an update, especially size reporting!

I would like that. I am still using a beta version of the library, and it has not failed me yet, however I had to make some changes to make it compile on GCC. An OS X framework would be great.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Advertisement
Here's a link. It's built as a universal binary, and as "private" framework i.e. it's intended to be copied into the app bundle.

I only have 10.5 machines so I don't know if it works with 10.4. It *should*, but I haven't tested it.

http://shodanproductions.com/misc/SOIL/SOIL_framework_20071110.dmg
... size reporting!
What is size reporting? Like size in bytes?

Anyways great library, and quite efficient I may add. =]
nice library you have, i managed to fix the problem with loading the texture in soil.
Quote:Original post by JMNightmare
... size reporting!
What is size reporting? Like size in bytes?

Sometimes SOIL resizes the image on load (if the card needs a power-of-2 size, for example). There have been requests for SOIL to report the original size of the texture as it was loaded, before any manipulation (and/or an easy way to just determine what was the size of the texture that was loaded). I've had a pretty busy few months, but I'm getting some free time again, so development of SOIL is back on. Thanks for your patience everybody!
Quote:Original post by muster
nice library you have, i managed to fix the problem with loading the texture in soil.

Thanks! Glad you got it working!
Thanks for the library! It is wonderful!
Mr. Phil Games - Download Computer Game
Hey,

Thank you for an awesome library, first of all. Unfortunately for me, it seems that no matter what I tweak, I invariably receive the following errors:

1>libSOIL.a(stb_image_aug.o) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __alloca referenced in function _stbi_zlib_decode_noheader_buffer
1>libSOIL.a(image_helper.o) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _sqrtf referenced in function _RGBE_to_RGBdivA2

I know I am most likely missing a .lib file but after extensive searching online I have found no resolutions to this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Ezra
I had the same linking errors trying to use libSOIL.a with VC9. I fixed it by builiding a new SOIL.lib from the included VC9 project. This also increased the size of the library x 4.
I've modified soil to support saving uncompressed dds images and fixed bugs with it not being able to distinguish with ARGB8888 and ABGR8888 in its saving and loading of uncompressed dds files.

Additionally I have added SOIL_get_imageinfo_fromfile( const char* filename, SOIL_imageinfo* imageInfo ) which is akin to direct3d's D3DXGetImageInfoFromFile. It allows you to extract the size, format, and other properties of a file without actually loading the entire thing. I needed this because fully parsing an image (png's in particular) just to get some dimension info was too slow for my needs.

Due to being busy with work and such, I'm going to give myself a week to clean up my changes and I'll submit them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement