Team Fortress 2: Single-player practice?

Started by
7 comments, last by AndreTheGiant 16 years, 6 months ago
I bought the Orange Box for Episode 2, with curiosity about Portal (awesome) and Team Fortress 2 (undecided). I can't seem to find a way to create a game in TF2 where I can just practice against some bots. It's kind of frustrating to go online and get pwned and subsequently cussed out over and over. I want to practice a bit and then go online... Anyone know if there's a way to do that?
Advertisement
I don't recall seeing bots for TF2, unlike in Quake Wars.

Everything is better with Metal.

I, too, think this would be nice. I haven't gotten to see (much less play) TF2 due to my funky net connection. Wah!
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Why cant you just practice online? Thats what everyone else does. The game just came out so you dont have very far to catch up.

My first hour of TF2 I was getting owned pretty bad, but a week later now Im at the top of the scorechart almost every round :)

Its all about knowing the maps and the strengths/weaknesses of each class. Playing against bots is not practice for playing against humans. Keep playing man, your probably not as far behind as you think.
Quote:Original post by AndreTheGiant
Why cant you just practice online? Thats what everyone else does. The game just came out so you dont have very far to catch up.
So, since I actually can't practice online, I guess the answer is still 'no' ?
It wouldn't give you people to play against, I guess, but you could run a private server and not let anybody else in if you just wanted to run around and learn the layout of the maps and stuff.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Unfortunately there is no way to play offline. My recommendation is to locate servers with a small amount of people on them, get a lot of running around 'foot time' in, get comfortable with a class and when you feel like you've got a hold on it, start joining games with more and more people.

And "Avatar God," if you can't even play online - 'practicing' is pointless since the idea of the game is to play online with other people.

Learning is pretty similar across all scopes of 'knowledge' - practice everyday for 30 minutes, and eventually you're bound to catch on.
AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
Quote:Original post by AfroFire
And "Avatar God," if you can't even play online - 'practicing' is pointless since the idea of the game is to play online with other people.
Well, yeah, but if it at least had bots, I could see the game. I suppose there's always YouTube.

Start up the game, and go to "create server" instead of "find servers". You can play any map you want, as any character you want. Knowing the maps and characters is the best you can do to prepare before playing online.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement