[java] Anyone know about Mac java problems?

Started by
13 comments, last by Big_Bad_Bill 22 years, 11 months ago
In my computer science class, I''ve been recruited by my teacher to search for a browser that will work on our old macs (ewww!) and supprt java. I found that IE 4.01 will work on these machines, and it took me forever, but I found an old enough version of Mac Runtime Java to work as well. The purpose of these tasks was so we (the students) could check our teacher''s online gradebook which he wrote in java. The problem is, his applet now runs, but when you put in your password to access your grades, it gives me errors and doesn''t display the grades. The errors it gives me look like they are problems with his code, but I''m not very proficient in java yet and it also runs on all of our Windows machines at home, so it may be problems with the macs. If interested in helping me solve this problem please email me at stuffnotherstuff@hotmail.com and I''ll share the errors and hopefully I can get these old machines to be able to access the online gradebook. Bill
Advertisement
Sounds like he gave you an impossible task. Just because he gives out specs doesn''t mean they can be met at all. Post the exact errors if you want more detailed help. Other than that, java + macs = trouble.
Here''s the error''s it gives me:

Applet error message:

5/10/2001 @ 8:53:2
Java Exception: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError - java.lang.Character:
method
getNumericValue(C)I not found
Stack Trace:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.Character: method
getNumericValue(C)I
not found
at pinApplet.encodeString(pinApplet.java:202)
at pinApplet.checkThePin(pinApplet.java:239)
at pinApplet.action(pinApplet.java:134)
at java.awt.Component.handleEvent(Component.java)
at java.awt.Component.postEvent(Component.java)
at java.awt.Component.postEvent(Component.java)
at sun.awt.macos.MEvent.post(MEvent.java)
at apple.jam.JMAWTContext.run(JAMSessionFrameHolder.java)
Sounds like the version of MRJ you have is only 1.0. getNumericValue on Character has only existed since java 1.1. Try getting a newer version of the MRJ. Either that or get your teacher to give you a java 1.0 compatible version of the applet.

MRJ is on about version 2.2 (pre OS X), and should support java 1.1.8. It should be fine if you get a recent version. Though if these macs are very old you might have trouble. If you have MacOS 8.1 (or higher you should be fine), just look at http://www.apple.com/java/ or http://developer.apple.com/java/

Anyway, most of the problems with macs stem form the fact that they''re not like normal computers (which might be why some people like them). No command line, GUI all the way up, no "working directory" etc.
That is somwhat helpful, but I installed MRJ 1.5.1 on them, the highest I could find that will run on them. I hate macs with a passion, but they have started to interest me a little. I''ve looked, but is there a Microsoft Virtual Machine for Macs anywhere? Or any other virtual machine for a mac?
Glad to hear you''re finding some interest in macs (they''re not as bad as some people would have you believe, they just don''t work like WinTel boxes).

I think you''re a bit buggered tho'' if you can''t get MRJ higher than 1.5.1, that seems to be the only version that isn''t java 1.1
compatible.
Sun used to do java for the mac, but apple took all responsibility for producing java later. The only other JVM I now of for the mac is the netscape VM, but it''s also only java 1.0.
If you can upgrade the macs to System 7.6 then you should be ok. Otherwise I don''t know what to suggest. (beyond telling your teacher to get a grip and rewrite his code).

cheers,
John
I noticed the comment about having system 7.6... these machines have 7.6.1 on them, is there another version of MRJ that I could search for? Also, I don''t think my teacher would be very keen on rewriting his code to be 1.0 compatible, I could always try though.

You are in luck go to:

http://developer.apple.com/java/download.html

You should see several previous versions of MRJ. Assuming you have enough hardware requirements, you should be able to get MRJ 2.1.4, which brings you up to the heady heights of java 1.1.7. That should be more than ample.
Thank you for all your help! I now have an "A" on my final project and all of our macs can now run the online gradebook applett. Thanks again.

Bill
any way to get java 2 for mac os9?
free way that is
"do you like my helmut?"-yoghurt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement