How do you get a Webcam working in DirectX and on Windows

Started by
8 comments, last by 7h0m 16 years, 1 month ago
Hi guys , i am using DirectX and i want to make a WebCam game, since directShow is not part of the SDK what can i use instead?
Advertisement
Why does it matter what SDK DShow is part of? (Platform SDK, by the way.)
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
There was a SDK released by Logitech some time ago. But I dont know the current version. There is also an open source library OpenCV by Intel.
"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us,universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."A. Einstein
So could i use Platform SDK, so would the exe work on any windows environment
Years ago I wrote a webcammy program which used Video for Windows. I would suggest checking it out.
Quote:Original post by Great_White
There was a SDK released by Logitech some time ago. But I dont know the current version. There is also an open source library OpenCV by Intel.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe OpenCV has to be installed on the host PC for it to work. The reason I am not 100% sure is because I'm using it for a plugin for MPlayerc, and it requires a directshow filter to be installed in order to route the video to the plugin. Perhaps you can simply link it when you don't need the filter.

From what I heard from DirectShow it's a real mess (API-wise) but I do not have any first-hand experience with it so I can't really comment on it.
STOP THE PLANET!! I WANT TO GET OFF!!
Quote:Original post by DarkHorizon
Years ago I wrote a webcammy program which used Video for Windows. I would suggest checking it out.

Hi! I would be really interested to see your little webcam app if it uses directdraw/show/x

Thank you my friend.
Quote:Original post by Prog101
Hi guys , i am using DirectX and i want to make a WebCam game, since directShow is not part of the SDK what can i use instead?
I am in the exact same situation. Let's find a sample that we can use ^_^

Just use DirectShow. Or is there some reason why you don't want to??
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
Quote:Original post by CodeMunkie
Just use DirectShow. Or is there some reason why you don't want to??

Do you have one sample in particular that you would recommend to get my hands dirty? On my part I would like to be able to stream the feed over tcp/ip... is that possible?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement