Original Post
In networked games that use pathfinding, are pathfinding routines generally done on the host? Can anyone point me at any examples of games that distribute the pathfinding among all players? Can anyone tell me why this would be bad idea? I'm working on a RTS, where commands (such as move unit a to point x) are sent from a client to the server, and broadcast to all clients. I'd like the client to work out the path that the units being moved will follow before sending the command to the host, to reduce the strain on the host. The major problems I can see will be: If there is an obstacle move/addition while a unit is already following a path, the server will either need to work out the new path itself, or query the client which provided the path for a new one. Opens up the game to some cheating (which may be a good or bad thing). It might actually be a nice side effect to allow players to plug-in their own pathfinder module. Many thanks, Pete