• Create Account

Floating point determinism.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 Richy2k   Members   -  Reputation: 313

0Likes

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

I posted a while ago asking about this. I've had a hunt online and found something which a few others here may like - took me long enough, so I don't want to leave you all stuck like I almost was - went fixed point only to realise it was a bit of a fail in certain situations. Streflop seemed to be my solution. A friend of mine I'm working on the project with noticed it is used by TA Spring. (link missed as it seemed to miss half my post) Thats the solution to the problem we had - keeping all clients in game totally in sync - its an RTS so sending across every units position was not a good solution for us. Anyone else found any other neat solutions? [Edited by - Richy2k on June 30, 2008 7:58:47 AM]

Sponsor:

#2 Rattenhirn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1667

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:05 AM

Huh?

#3 xor   Members   -  Reputation: 516

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:23 AM

Are you talking about precision differences between different hardware platforms, specifically, different CPUs?

#4 Mike.nl   Members   -  Reputation: 390

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:29 AM

He missed a quote in his post, this is the rest of his post:
Quote:
Streflop seemed to be my solution. A friend of mine I'm working on the project with noticed it is used by TA Spring.

Thats the solution to the problem we had - keeping all clients in game totally in sync - its an RTS so sending across every units position was not a good solution for us.

Anyone else found any other neat solutions?

#5 Rattenhirn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1667

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:27 AM

Good to know

#6 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4984

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:30 AM

As long as you stick to a single compiler, and a single CPU instruction set, it is possible to make floating point fully deterministic. The specifics vary by platform (i e, different between x86, x64 and PPC).

#7 Richy2k   Members   -  Reputation: 313

0Likes

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:56 AM

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
As long as you stick to a single compiler, and a single CPU instruction set, it is possible to make floating point fully deterministic. The specifics vary by platform (i e, different between x86, x64 and PPC).

I've already tested this, and it isn't always the case. Same exe, different machines. My Athlon x2 matches my friends Core Duo 2 - but I considered myself lucky in that case. Had the same problem with networking at work too - was remoting another another machine with a different CPU to mine and getting different results with the same inputs. The differences were very tiny - but there.

I'd be interested to know which compiler settings to use to make it actually work though [smile] one less dependancy then!

#8 xor   Members   -  Reputation: 516

0Likes

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:04 AM

You might want to try this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e7s85ffb.aspx

Though I've read conflicting reports, the ODE team states this flag doesn't help keep their physics calculations deterministic.

On my code I just send resynchronization packets, and don't worry about determinism.

#9 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4984

0Likes

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:56 AM

Quote:
Same exe, different machines.

That means it's a problem with the exe. You have to make sure that the internal precision is set to 64 bits (not 80, because only Intel implements that), and that the rounding mode is consistent. Furthermore, you have to check this after calls to external DLLs, because many DLLs (Direct3D, printer drivers, sound libraries, etc) will change the precision or rounding mode without setting it back.

Also, you can't use SSE or SSE2 for floating point, because it's too under-specified to be deterministic.

#10 Rattenhirn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1667

0Likes

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:27 AM

Of course, there's always the possibility of something like this! :)

#11 implicit   Members   -  Reputation: 504

0Likes

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:

That means it's a problem with the exe. You have to make sure that the internal precision is set to 64 bits (not 80, because only Intel implements that), and that the rounding mode is consistent. Furthermore, you have to check this after calls to external DLLs, because many DLLs (Direct3D, printer drivers, sound libraries, etc) will change the precision or rounding mode without setting it back.

Also, you can't use SSE or SSE2 for floating point, because it's too under-specified to be deterministic.
Do you know of an extensive study of this to see to what degree chip makers comply with the IEEE standard? This is obviously not the sort of thing you'd risk basing the network model for a large game project on without a great deal of testing.
One might easily imagine a slight bug in a transcendental function on a VIA processor might go undetected for a long time. Or (more likely) an emulator skimping a bit on the floating point precision for performance reasons, e.g. if the Itanium had taken off, PS2 backwards-compatibility on the PS3, or a PPC Mac user running Virtual PC.
But then again perhaps they test these sort of things extensively nowadays, at least I don't see Intel forgetting the whole Pentium FDIV debacle anytime soon.

#12 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4984

0Likes

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

Quote:
Do you know of an extensive study of this to see to what degree chip makers comply with the IEEE standard? This is obviously not the sort of thing you'd risk basing the network model for a large game project on without a great deal of testing.

The ISA is IEEE compliant. If your x87 implementation isn't IEEE, it's not x87.

The technology we license to various customers is based on determinism of floating point (in 64-bit mode, even) and has worked that way since the year 2000.

#13 Richy2k   Members   -  Reputation: 313

0Likes

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I hate to ask as usually a google will suffice - but I've had no luck with this one. How do you go about setting the internal precision to 64 bits? Would be greatly appreciated!

#14 fanaticlatic   Members   -  Reputation: 458

0Likes

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:16 AM

Quote:

I hate to ask as usually a google will suffice - but I've had no luck with this one. How do you go about setting the internal precision to 64 bits? Would be greatly appreciated!

in C/C++ i think the command is _controlfp_s() which takes a couple of bit masks where you can set different floating point settings.

#15 Baiame   Members   -  Reputation: 209

0Likes

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c9676k6h(VS.80).aspx should tell you what you need to know.

I think I'm in the same position as you at the moment. Apparently the VC++ implementation of the C/C++ math library uses processor-specific optimizations, so you'll need another math library anyway, making STREFLOP the best option.

EDIT: ...unless you're using MSVC++.

[Edited by - Baiame on July 7, 2008 11:22:31 PM]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS