Wake up call for all games designers

Started by
128 comments, last by Luckless 15 years, 6 months ago
I'm putting this out as a wake up call to games designers out there. I'm going to use the breaking news about Deus Ex 3 as an example to make a wider point. Deus Ex was “Kinda Slow” Says Deus Ex 3 Dev - [link]http://www.edge-online.com/news/deus-ex-was-%E2%80%9Ckinda-slow%E2%80%9D-says-deus-ex-3-dev[/link] Heres a fan reaction to other news about the same game Deus Ex 3: First Details Make Me Sad [link]http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/41961/Deus-Ex-3-First-Details-Make-Me-Sad[/link] On that same link is a comment that states "First Shadowrun, then Warhammer Online, now Deus Ex 3. I wonder when people will start to catch on." and another that says "That is the future of video games.. They will all be dumbed down arcades for idiots.. In 10 years your chances of seeing a real game will be near zero." This is a wake up call to games designers. Can you stop pandering to the lowest common denominator before that nightmare scenario occurs, or there will be no games industry left as it will have no room for innovation, just me too clones and dumbed down sequals. This has got to stop.
“If you try and please everyone, you won’t please anyone.”
Advertisement
I'll be sure to get right on it.
I'm really sorry that a game you were looking forward to didn't stand up to your standards. Such seems to be your distress that you even started drawing conclusions about the industry as a whole. Best of luck for going through this gruesome psychological ordeal.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a lot of innovative, original, well-designed and interesting games to play. And I certainly hope that players would learn to look for these games, instead of just buying into the latest multi-million me-too blockbuster fad.

Fifteen years ago, we didn't have multi-million-dollar original and innovative AAA titles: all we had was small fun and original games designed by small teams with limited budgets. Today, we still don't have multi-million-dollar original and innovative AAA titles (although multi-million-dollar me-too AAA titles have appeared in the mean time), and we still have small fun and original games designed by small teams with limited budgets. Look for these, just like you did in the good old days.
Why does everyone keep going on about games keep being dumbed down for the masses. When was this era of better more complex games, or is it just nostalgia is like a mouth full of crack infused marbles.
DX was kind of slow, and based on the public post mortem, that was a problem right from the beginning of development and was never solved quite fully. Yes, it was a fantastic game, but don't be blind to its faults. It had lots of strengths and amazing touches, but pacing was certainly not one of them.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by kingy
Can you stop pandering to the lowest common denominator before that nightmare ...

One thing you have to remember is that the "lowest common denominator" is the largest viewing audience, which potentially will bring in the most amount of money. The games industry is a business, like any other, so it is natural that developers want to bring in the largest audience possible when tens of millions are on the line.

If you don't like where the big budget projects are headed, support the indie games industry, they need your money more than any big budget studio/publisher.

Or perhaps you could write your own hardcore not-for-the-LCD-audience game. Just my two cents.
Quote:Original post by Promit
DX was kind of slow, and based on the public post mortem, that was a problem right from the beginning of development and was never solved quite fully. Yes, it was a fantastic game, but don't be blind to its faults. It had lots of strengths and amazing touches, but pacing was certainly not one of them.

you need to play deus ex again.

try this for a strategy:

max strength aug
max speed aug
dragon tooth sword

you are now an unstopable speed machine. Run up behind a large mech with balistic protection on - swipe, swipe, swipe - explode.

smash turrets / cameras in 1 hit
splatter any humanoid npc in 1 hit

there are plenty of other fast paced strategies. Also, check out the speed runs.
I think you cant say that there are no good "new" games, but as said before you wont see very much from those big players.

People who play and buy games, decide which games will be developed by those companys.

If you can create a bad, boring game for just $100k and use a licence from a movie to make some millions with it. Why should these companys spend millions on a maybe-hit/maybe-loss experimental title/genre?

New and innovative games are a good niche for indie-developers. And sometime the big companies realize which concepts worked out and copy them. Then they enhance the concept using their higher budget for amazing graphics and other fancy stuff and make again their money with proofed concepts, while the smaller teams are allready inventing new concepts.

My post sounds a bit like a rant about bigger companys, but its not really meant like that. This is just how business works, and its the same in other industry sectors. Bigger companys have higher budgets, but smaller companys are usually more flexible and can be more innovative.
I don't suppose anyone read the actual article? Edge's website just picked one quote completely out of context, and everyone goes bananas.

But eh, this is the internet, we don't need facts, do we?
There's a lot of crap out there, but that's no reason to run in circles screaming doomsday. There's always been a lot of crap out there.

Deus Ex 2 already established the trend of a beautiful series rolling down hill. It wouldn't be all that surprising to see it stumble again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement