PARPG - isometric 2d RPG looking for programmers, artists & game mechanics designers

Started by
51 comments, last by mvBarracuda 14 years, 1 month ago
Updated the original posting:
* We're now looking for graphics artists (3d modelers, concept artists) as well as musicians (composers, sound effects engineers).
* Updated the list of team members.
-----PARPG - open source isometric 2d old school RPG still looking for interested contributors
Advertisement
Yes! It's Monday again, that means it's time for yet another news update :-) As always: lots of progress over the course of the last week so I'll keep things short and you simply click through the various links if you find a topic of interest.

This time we're looking out for graphics artists and musicians who would like to get their hands dirty by contributing to the project. To give them something to do, the proper infrastructure needs to be in place as well, so our graphics artist Lamoot created a first Blender rendering setup as starting point. Furthermore we decided to set up an asset repository to find out if it offers any advantage for contributors who would like to avoid wrestling with SVN and other VCS solutions that are more geared towards tech-savvy users.

There are some new starting points for interested programmers and some reinforcements have already arrived as well. We're currently working on a playground for the writers to test the story format while trying to retain an overview by maintaining a per milestone ToDo list.

Zenbitz got his hands dirty again as well and elaborates on use and study-based learning and the next (prolly rather short) news update will already arrive at Friday as I'm traveling to The Hague at Saturday.

Interested in all the details? Check out the full news update at the PARPG development blog :-)
-----PARPG - open source isometric 2d old school RPG still looking for interested contributors
I could possibly compose some music for the project. All I am interested in at this point is experience.

You can view some of my previous work here. Keep in mind that those are ALL raw midi files simply converted to MP3 (for new users who don't understand what a generic sound font bank is). I have the tools to enhance any scores that I write to my disposal.
@ Joshuad: I'll take a closer over the course of the week and also ask the other developers how they like it.

I'll be traveling to The Hague, Netherlands at Saturday and stay there for a week. So in case you don't hear from me until then, don't worry. In this case I'll get back to you when I'm back at the end of the month.
Heya and welcome to yet another PARPG news update. This one has been in the pipeline for several weeks and I would like to apologize for the massive delay. The original plan was to bring it to you around the 1st of April but a lot of unforeseen events occured.

This time there are a couple of good things to report but we've also encountered setbacks. Our lead programmer icelus decided to step down from his position; therefore the plans for the rather sophisticated story engine / AI system are on ice for the time being. Fortunately a new programmer decided to get involved in the project and is now actively working on PARPG.

One of our graphics artists came up with some first concept art and the programmers continued to explore FIFE and took a couple of testing screenshots while doing so. Zenbitz wrote down his ideas about encumbrance, inventory and clothing and I've made a personal promise :-)

You can read about all details at the PARPG development blog: http://blog.parpg.net/2009/04/dont-look-back-into-the-sun

Here's a little teaser:
Gaspard PARPG concept art
Heya and welcome to yet another PARPG news update! As promised: now delivered weekly again.

An important advantage of blog updates on a weekly basis is that the number of topics to cover can be usually kept rather low. This time we’ll take a look into the latest map tests and present Zenbitz’s thoughts how combat could work in PARPG. Last but not least we’ll show you how a piece of concept art evolves from a mere black and white sketch to a colorized version of it and finally into an actual (work in progress) 3d model.

You can check out all the details at the PARPG development blog!

And here's a little teaser for you to get you excited. The other visuals can be found at the blog :-)

Concept art teaser
Heya and welcome to yet another PARPG news update! This week we got a number of interesting topics to cover: an updated roadmap for the programming department, some first guides for the graphics artists, new work in progress 3d models as well as progress in the writing department.

You can check out the whole update at the PARPG development blog.

And as special feature for this week's update: a mistery teaser :-) Want to find out what PARPG has to do with crates? Check out the full update at the blog!

Mystery teaser
Just updated the contact information! The new prefered way of getting in contact with the team is to post a little introduction about yourself at the Introduce yourself board of our forums. This way I can disburden myself a bit and the other developers can provide more specific feedback and pointers (for their specific department) to get started than I could. I'll post there as well but with the new approach I'm not the only one who answers your questions and this should result in faster replies as well than I could provide.

I also added three selected pieces of concept art and a render of one of our work in progress 3d models. Next news update coming at Monday!
Heya and welcome to yet another weekly PARPG news update! There is a whole bunch of visual material to cover in this update as the graphics department has been quite hardworking. Furthermore the combat system proposal has been overhauled and large parts of the Python code have been refactored. We've played around with possible ingame inventory concepts and our trac system seems to run stable again after spammers invaded it a couple of days ago :-(

While a couple of new graphics artists joined the project lately, there is still a lot of room for additional contributors. We're currently especially searching for talented artists who would like to help us with creating ground tiles for the game.

Check out the full news update at the PARPG development blog.

And if you want to know what all of this has to do with an upswing, here's a little pointer for you: